Working out with Type 1?

Fire Hawk

Hey folks I was just wanting to ask some questions about working out while having Type 1. I recently decided that I'd like to start working out to gain muscle and generally just get healthier however I'm not really sure how to go about it given that with Diabetes I've got to watch out for low Blood Sugars etc. To be honest I'd really just like some advice on eating the right stuff to gain muscle while still maintaining good blood sugars and to be honest they don't sound like they go hand in hand considering while training it's best to cut out things like sugar etc. And of course any beginner training workouts are welcome too

Thanks all,
Ross.

lynde89

Hi Ross!

I am just getting back into the gym for the same reasons! I usually have a banana before I work out & don't inject for it. I keep my test kit & gluco tabs with me while I work out, & test before, after & during if I feel I want/need to. I also get through about half a bottle of lucozade lite which helps as I found my sugars sometimes drop during.

I'll do 1000m on the rowing machine & then onto weights. I've also got some whey protein, creatine & glutamine but haven't started taking them all just yet.

I don't know if this will be of much help but I thought I'd put it out there :). Also remember its trial & error to start with & not the same thing works for everyone, this is just what I've found that helps me.... So far! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

shutterspeed

Hi I too am looking for help with nutrition for weight training. Im type 1 and am making gains but very slowly. I have trouble gaining weight, am stuck at 12 stone. Am drinking protein 3 times a day, taking creatine, D aspartine , every vitamin known to man. Should we be injecting more insulin to compensate for the extra food and workouts? And im confused as how much carbs we can eat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App