i feel depressed

Alex101

I was diagnosed woth diabetes since I was born. I started to feel down when i turned 16, (i am now 17). I struggled with my diabetes because of exams but just thought it was being nervous, but it has progressed hugley and now i feel the worst. I lose my appetite, i struggle to sleep, on a couple ocasions i have cried myself to sleep becuase of feeling so worn down and upset. A month after my 16th birthday. I was taken into hospital because i was assulted by 5 grown men, who in the end broke my nose,jaw,3 ribs and fractured my eye socket. My stress levels increased alone with my sugar levels, i became I'll for a long while. Each blood sugar i took was high this made me feel sader and sader every single time. I have mood swings and struggle to have fun with my friends, my girlfriend is wonderful she helps me constantly, but i feel like my diabetes is a burden on her it makes me sad to think that she cant do the things she might want to because she is helping me even through school i was taunted because i was "different" people would scare me whilst i was injecting which caused me to scratch my stomache, and even some of my own friends would steal my blood kit from my bag. I hate feeling Like this.

Alex

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I didn't just want to read and run.

I'm type 2 so not in the same position as you but I can sympathise with teenage worries.

You should know it is not your fault. It is a lot to cope with and deal with exams etc.

And I am appalled to read of the assault. I hope they catch the people.
Most teenager have feeling like you describe whether they are dealing with health issues or not. Children and teenagers will always find something to tease and annoy each other with, glasses, weight, red hair, teeth, being too clever, too poor.

It will feel like a massive problem to you now but this will pass. Things will settle and get better. It's like being stuck in a tunnel and not seeing the light.

Make a list of all the good thing you like and are grateful for (your girl friend sounds like one for the list) and all the things you would like to change. You cant do too much about your diabetes other than keep your sugar levels under control but there will be other things you can do. Start with small changes. Focus on a new project or find something to aim for. Go for it.

If you can speak to your parents or want to speak to your doctor then do that too. But the best changes will come from within.

With my diabetes I knew I could improve it with weight loss but dug my head in the sand. It is only me that can change what I eat and how much of it. I made small changes to start with and it is gradually paying off.

You are not defined by your illness. You are much more than diabetes. We all are.

Cara

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Alex 101, :)
my girlfriend is wonderful she helps me constantly
Hope things get better,and be brave even if it is just for your girlfriend I think.
Your girl friend is as you say "wonderful".
These so called grown up men will get what they deserve one way or the other.
Nevertheless you must try to be strong.
Those friends that steal your kit, might think it is funny without really thinking, they will soon come to their senses, I mean you would not call them friends if you thought they were just stupid bullies.

Best of luck

Roy. :)

Alex101

Thank you both for writing back, its good to hear that there people out there who i can talk to, this was really the first time i have spoken about how im feeling, and you've made me feel that little bit better:)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Your girlfriend sounds like a good person. I'm sure if your diabetes bothered her at all, she'd have said something by now :)

Have you told your friends how dangerous it would be for you if they broke your testing stuff? Some people simply just don't understand that it's something you need. If they're really your friends, they'll stop.

You'll find that in the transition from secondary school to college, people magically do a lot of growing up. I was bullied a lot at school and since leaving, I can easily bump in to the same people who bullied me at school and have a conversation with them in a pub or something.

Everytime something bad happens in my life, I take great pleasure in repeating the thoughts 'this too will pass' in my head. You have the power to overcome anything if you believe you can.