Hi all

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi my name is Kemi I am 41yrs, female and I live in Ireland. I am only new here , I have been living with Type 2 Diabetes for the last 7 years. I need help with my fasting glucose please and I am willing to try anything that has worked for others. Fasting glucose is constantly high and Doctor kept increasing my dosage. Currently I am on 2000mg metforming plus 3 x 30mg Diamicron per day and the tablets seems to be doing nothing to the fasting glucose. Fasting glucose is usually 10 - 12 and day time is between 4-5 and sometimes experienced hypo. I dont know if any one has been in the same situation and what did you do to lower it. :( Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hiya, what's your diet like?

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started a very low carb diet about 2wks ago and I m yet to see the fasting blood sugar going down.

wilsons888

I am 50yrs old recently diagnosed T2 on 2000 mgs metformin. Have been low carbing for two months with 30% drop in fasting bs when testing. Still too high at 8 though. Don't know if it is the meds or my low carb diet but I have absolutely zero energy. Anyone else get 'lead legs' ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

murph524

Hi dietme10, You could always look at the Newcastle diet, I have been on it 2 and a half weeks, my fasting bloods when I started we're 10.3, As of today they are 6.2, Not a easy diet to start off but the results can be had. Good luck

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I recommend having something to eat before bed like some crackers (Carrs Original) and a natural yogurt. If you are low carbing I would put money on your morning levels reducing over a few days.

I think you are suffering from what is sometimes described as liver dump or the dawn phenomina.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
murph524 said:
Hi dietme10, You could always look at the Newcastle diet, I have been on it 2 and a half weeks, my fasting bloods when I started we're 10.3, As of today they are 6.2, Not a easy diet to start off but the results can be had. Good luck

Thanks for your response I looked into the Newcastle Diets but the Optifast milkshake is not available here in Ireland, I also learnt you can use the Asda biggest looser shakes which I have been on for the last two weeks for breakfat and lunch and the low carb diet for dinner.I am so looking forward to having a normal fasting reading. :(

dietme10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
murph524 said:

Sorry Murph524 can I just ask are you doing the Newcastle diet breakfast, lunch and dinner. I could try that as well instead of doing the low carb at dinner. I am just desperate to get the fasting sugar down. Thanks

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[quote="dietme10I could try that as well instead of doing the low carb at dinner. I am just desperate to get the fasting sugar down. Thanks[/quote]

If I understand your comment right, then if you're going to low-carb then you really should do so at all meals, and not just for dinner.

murph524

hi, dietme

yes i have a shake for all 3, plus you have 250 grams of veg per day which i have at night, i also could not get optifast, so i used asda meal replacement shakes at 200 calories each which are made up with skimmed milk. seems to be working for me. good luck with what ever you go with.