Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Surely the best diabetic food is fresh natural produce?

The issue we all face on a daily basis is will it affect my BS?

Carb control and portion control generally work but education is the key. Personally I would buy nothing labelled as being especially for diabetics.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
AlexMBrennan said:
We are trailing way behind in this country, the best they can come up with is that disgusting, horrible Franks diabetic ice cream, proudly boasting that they supply this **** to the NHS, at over 17g carbs per 100g and full of chemicals and transfats, its hardly suitable for a diabetic unless they want to treat a hypo
You know, this kind of thing is exactly why I had to take a break from this site in site but anyway...
I'm surprised you never heard of Dreamfields Pasta (which, admittedly has a somewhat dodgy reputation). You might also want to look into your chemophobia.

As for the original question - maybe? Last time I visited the US I bought some low carb (<3g net carb) tortillas which tasted alright but most concoctions will inevitably be bad: If you take out the carbs, then you'll either get something which neither tastes nor feels like food, or add indigestible a stuff like polyols for bulk and taste which will affect digestion.

I have just come out of hospital and you wouldnt believe what I have witnessed there, a patient, type 2 diabetic on insulin, swollen legs and ulcers, breathing problems, half blind, nurses come to do the obs,
What you don't know is context - did that nurse make these comments because they wanted to reassure the old lady, or because they were ignorant? The nurse you saw probably had zero power of the medication or diet and was just trying their best to keep the patient comfortable.

Secondly, you don't know why that patient is in a hospital to begin with. Yes, high BG does damage blood vessels which, in the long term, adds up to all the things associated with diabetes - neuropathy, diabetic foot, etc. However, that doesn't mean that tight control is always best. But even if we don't have half the information needed to make an educated decision we can still have fun bashing the NHS on the interwebz.

Nice to see someone stand up for the NHS. Well said!

K

Kat100

Craig...might be an idea to widen your research methods
I am sure there is a wider scope.....good luck Kat

Would just like to say, I agree 100% with WJ; this kind person has given me a tin full of home made delicious cookies that do not raise my blood sugars.

I have been diabetic for 18 years, with consistently high Hb1ac. I have complications, including severe leg ulcers.
Why have I been let down by the NHS, why has nobody, absolutely NOBODY from thje medical profession ever suggested that I look into low GI or low carb foods? I have been seen by dietitians, followed their recommendations, I have been eating carbohydrates with every meal, I was told that I need to.

A steep learning curve for me, reading posts in this forum and has been an eye opener to say the least, thank you WJ, thank you, thank you, thank you for guiding me into that direction. I didnt know such forums existed, briefly belonged to an American forum, but became too ill and depressed to stay around.

Now I have hope once more, I will do everything I can to make it better.