eating sweets and getting low blood sugar readings

galaxcee2001

I have been cutting my carbs over the past 3 months with great success. I have lost weight and have very good control of my blood sugar Except for when I eat a couple of boiled sweets. Sometimes I crave something sweet and I have a small child's sugary lolly or a couple of boiled sweets. This tends to lower my blood sugars, I've had high 3's and low 4's doing this. Can anyone explain what is happening. I fully expected my blood sugars to rise. I'm type 2

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi im no expert at all, but apart from this sounding impossible, maybe you rested your pancreas so well that when its needed now it over reacts but im pretty sure IF this is the case if you ate them often it would not continue going low

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bedshaped2000

I used to have the same with fruit and small chocs at Xmas. Then I tested big time and left well alone lol check you bloods 45 mins after the sweet you I'll see a large spike then after a hour and half it will fall rapidly thus making you feel lousey and having another one. I think because as type 2s our pancreas is damaged and you should be trying to save your insulin ie not using it so much. Because you had something very high in sugar you pancreas over composites and puts to much insulin into your body thus giving you a low reading about 2hrs after. I used to have this after a apple I would get a headache and have a low reading and felt like ****. Stopped the apple felt OK and no rollercoaster readings. Test and see