A question for those who were diagnosed in young stages

PaulAuster

I'm a type 1 since I was 11 years old. It always seemed to me that the typical argument ''you're very young'' or ''you're still growing up'' was just an excuse in order to justify a terrible control of diabetes. I've always heard that young diabetics, specially teenagers, tend to have a much higher insulin resistance than grown-up adults (21yr or more). Now I'm 18 and the truth is that I feel I could be injecting more insulin than apparently my weigh would need (17 levemir units a day; 57kg; low carb diet), and I don't know if it's because of my age.

What do you think? Did you have high insulin resistance in your younger years?

Thank you

foreverdelayed

Its hormones dude. I was dx'd type 1 when I was 11 and 13-19 was the worst for control. Girls, drinking, fitting in and the general mental shitstorm of being a teenager almost certainly had an impact on control. Consultants can be trigger happy with increasing doses etc and can conflict themselves a lot from one appointment to the next which doesn't help. Good news is that I found it easier the older I got. I mellowed a lot in my 20's and don't get nearly as worked up about, well, anything! Stay positive and do what you feel is best for you, you'll learn a lot about your body and how it reacts to lows, highs and stress, tiredness etc. Things a doctor can't possibly understand as we're all different. It and you will come good eventually. Stay strong.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most people are near enough to the "average", but there ARE people whose bodies do rather unusual things. Maybe you're just one of them.

I have a friend who has a very fast metabolism; he's always binged on Mars bars and pies and the like, but has always been incredibly skinny. Our bodies are much more varied than medical science would like to admit.

In other words, it's probably just your genes, and nothing to worry about. Do a bit of reading or ask questions from time to time, in case there is an underlying issue that should be addressed, but don't let it bother you.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know about insulin resistance and age but I developed some resistance with use.

If you feel you need more carbohydrate in your diet, then you will need to increase the insulin. If you're not used to making changes then consider discussing it with your consultant first. Stability is key to keeping blood sugar readings within the normal range.

It can be hard to achieve a stable lifestyle - activity and food may vary, other things too which may not be under your control. Since my life is varied I switched to a flexible regimen - I adjust the fast-acting dose for my meals and exercise, and leave the long-acting pretty much alone. This gives me more control, but it's very hands-on and won't work for everyone.

faeoj

iv just turned 21 and was diangosed at 7! I always thought id need more because my body has stopped producing it for a longer lenghth so non left in my body now compared to someone who was recently diagnosed and might have some left! I also thought as well because iv injected a lot more times my sites will have a build up and I need more insulin to counteract this

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed when I was 4 and I'm 18 now. I found when I was around 15 more than hormones was my attitude. One thing that I have raised to my diabetes centre is that when you get diagnosed with diabetes at a young age everything is taught to your parents so when you get to an age where you want some responsibility it's much harder as no one has ever explained diabetes to us.

Jenn1f3r

i was diagnosed when i was 3...a grand total of 22 years ago and my daily rate of lantus is well, 16 U and possibly heading down again. i dont have a low carb diet. compare this with 5 years ago and my lantus was up at 28 units. id reckon it could be an age thing - i certainly excercise less now. and eat more.