Travelling through time zones affecting sugar

emalina1982

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum despite being diagnosed since February this year with type 1.

I am just back from my honeymoon this week and my bg levels have been higher than usual.

Following the advice from my DSN, i adjusted my background insulin times to coincide with the different timezones so I effectively had less background insulin, could that have had such an effect on my levels??

Any advice appreciated....

P.S trying not to sound defeatist but I felt like I couldn't enjoy myself as much as I wanted to when I was away for the constant worrying about my bg levels being higher than usual then beating myself up and feeling guilty... Its a constant battle that I just don't think people without diabetes always understand : (

Sorry for the minor rant...

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

cp1943

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you were more active when you were on holiday and therefore needed less long-acting insulin or perhaps it's more stressful coming back. Perhaps you need to increase it again. Just a thought: lot's of things can affect your blood sugars. Don't beat yourself up about it: it takes time and experience and we all have bad days-

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Emalina,

Totally understand what a burden diabetes is and how it can drag you down!

Everyone finds their own way of dealing with diabetes but here's my advice: try to dissociate it from yourself. Treat it as a bunch of numbers you're interested in, not something that you care about. The emotional involvement, the worry, the guilt, aren't worth it. They'll damage your health more than slightly high blood sugars.

The better you are at self-adjusting your dosages the quicker you can correct situations like this. The last few days I've been getting hypos a couple of hours after many meals and then my sugars would shoot up high later. I've increased my long-acting (Lantus) and decreased my rapid somewhat and it seemed to fix the problem. If you can confidently make that kind of change on your own you're better equipped for life with diabetes.