flaxseed oil

Trinkwasser

candyrel said:
We mostly use rapeseed oil. I sprinkle flaxseeds on my porridge....just making sure I top up with plenty of liquid :shock:

Watch out for them, if you don't grind them they will jam in your gums and between your teeth and also pass through completely undigested (BTDT) putting them through a coffee grinder just before you eat them is a better plan, I believe flax oil deteriorates quickly when stored so it's best not to do them too far in advance.

popps

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what this "cure" consisting of flaxseed oil entails? Is ther ecidence that it works?

Merry Xmas to all!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I thought linseed oil was toxic and onlysuitable for cricket bats :lol:

C

catherinecherub

Hi popps,
If you google "linseed oil diabetes" there are loads of sites explaining the benefits of this.
Regards, Catherine.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I mix any beneficial oils I use in with mashed cauliflower and grated cheese, when it's just about to be served (ie, not too hot) or over salad with white wine vinegar :)

Trinkwasser

popps said:
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what this "cure" consisting of flaxseed oil entails? Is ther ecidence that it works?

Merry Xmas to all!

AFAICR the origin was a rather cranky theory about flushing trans fats out of your system by bombarding yourself with high levels of other fats.

Having said which, flax oil contains Omega 3s in a different form to fish oil (I get easily confused with the names of all the different fats) and improving the balance of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is widely regarded as beneficial to many conditions, they are utilised in many of the body's systems.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The cure is based around taking Flaxseed oil - but ONLY high quality flaxseed oil, where the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is greater than 3:1. The Flaxseed Oil should not be taken alone, but mixed with either "American" Cottage Cheese, or plain Yoghurt (Cinnamon can also be added to the mixture). The reason for this is that Flaxseed oil is NOT water soluable. By mixing it with the Yoghurt/Cottage Cheese, the Flaxseed Oil becomes water soluable, and is more readily absorbed by your body. The reason for using only American Cottage Cheese is due to the Sulphur content. Our cottage cheese does not have as high a sulphur (protein) content as the American stuff, so we are advised to use Yoghurt instead. However - you uneed to use approx. 3 times as much yoghurt as American cottage cheese in order to make the Flaxseed oil water soluable.

Flaxseed Oil should be kept in the fridge - it becomes rancid at room temperature and will make you ill.

I've been reading up on this for a while. The basics of it is:

1) Trans Fats ACTUALLY CAUSE Diabetes (according to the the sources I've researched)
2) Cells are constantly being re-generated using the fuel (food) that is available in our body
3) If we flood our system with Water Soluable Omega 3, this is the stuff that will be used to re-generate our cells.
4) Cells made in this way are much less resistant to insulin

Although I've read a lot - I haven't actually tried this yet. But I will be trying it soon, and will report back here with my findings.

Jenny

i think that you will find that for some considerable time a number of people who use this forum tried 'the cure' and reported progress/lack of progress. For a longish period it was a hot topic. I don't recall anyone ever reporting being cured. If you go over the original threads you will also find, if I recall correctly, that the brains behind it all eventually started to change the 'theory' and it withered. Personally I would not bother with the expense or the foul taste.

My early take on it was that if you excluded transfats from your diet, or ensured that only a very minimum were ingested, then the body would repair itself over time. I tried the flaxseed as a dressing for salads and added ground flaxseed to my (then) morning Muesli but it had no impact on my blood glucose according to my (then) daily testing or my 6 monthly HBa1c. My HBa1c started above 14, within 3 months by diet, exercise and 2*500 Metformin it went down to below 7, shrunk to 6.2 within 6 months and is now below 6. How? Moderate reduction in carbs, smaller portions, no cheating and regular daily exercise. Now random testing pre-breakfast and and evening meals normally give readings between 5 and 6.

Interestingly, I noticed that many supermarkets are now increasingly labelling own brand products which do not contain transfats.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
For info only,this was carefix's original oils trial.

Personal Diabetes Essential Oils Trial

The Method:

1) Remove synthetic trans-fats from the diet as found in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils such as: vegetable oil, sunflower oil, rapeseed oil, vegetable fat, corn oil, mono-, di-, and tri-glycerides of fatty acids. These oils are not just found in bottles but also find widespread use in many processed foods, especially those in tins and packets. Bottles for liquid oils are usually clear glass or plastic. These oils are not required to be labelled as hydrogenated so always assume that they are if in any doubt.

2) Replace the above oils removed from your diet with natural essential cis-isomer oils as follows:

For the first six weeks of your trial take up to four tablespoons full of linseed oil (also known as flax oil) daily. These oils must not be hydrogenated!

Thereafter take up to 2-3 tablespoons full of linseed oil and one tablespoon full of hemp oil and one or two teaspoons full of fish oil such as cod liver oil daily.

Record your personal trial data:

Initial Data.
Name:
Height:
Weight:
Years since diagnosis:
Last HbA1C:
Prescribed medication:

Ongoing Data
For cis-oil consumption the following key should be used:
L = 1 tablespoon full of Linseed Oil
H = 1 tablespoon full of Hemp Oil
F = 1 teaspoon full of Fish Oil e.g. cod liver oil.
If capsules are used use the format cF to mean capsule of fish oil and give the capsule size in the comments.

Comments could be used to include a key for medication e.g. MF = metformin etc.. They can be used to record feelings such as well-being, post-prandial tingles etc. It is understood that not all data is available data but please record as much as you can.

If I recall there were two or three members who did have some results with this.One of the 'Clares' we had a few then,had particular success with it.for me it was a non-starter as I could not stomach all that oil!!I still take flaxseed oil capsules though daily.