first illness since diagnosed

Brandon1*

My son has had is flu jab a fortnight ago his sugar went high for a day or so then they settled on Saturday his sugars went up to 20-22 then sSunday night he came down with a cough toke him to the gp when he wascheck over turns out he as a slight chest infection he was only diagnosed in August first illness is this normal to have such high blood sugars he as been like this since Saturday finding it really hard to get his sugar down

BeckyCerezo

I have 2 sons with diabetes, one very healthy (11yrs), rarely has anything wrong, the other (9yrs), the slightest illness and his sugars go through the roof. He is waiting to have his tonsils removed (which will be next Thursday - yippee!) So at least we will have no more tonsillitis to worry about. Unfortunately, going by my own experience, blood glucose can increase dramatically with infections/illness. Sometimes we don't even know if there is a underlying problem. Just last week my son's sugars were high, I had to keep him off school to get his sugars under control and after 3 days it was back to normal - no idea why it happened and we are way past the honeymoon period, so who knows? Juvenile Diabetes is a day-to-day lesson for all concerned and it can leave your mind feeling boggled :crazy: