Low Carb just takes preparation

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I see so many people on here struggle with the concept of low carb. I understand its not for everyone. But I find it so easy. I haven't touched rice or pasta for over a year. The only bread I eat is one I make myself from a recipe I found on here. I DO occassionally have a roast potato or 2.

Since I embraced the Very low carb lifestyle I have found that I do need to put a bit more thought into my shopping list and preparations. I live alone. For example on the weekend I will make a large wok full of soup, this week I used a whole chicken to make chicken and leek soup and have loads of chicken left to snack on (maybe share with the cats) over the week. I also have at least 7-8 portions of soup, which I take to work in a pot and heat in the microwave. Also at the weekend I make a slow cooked indian or stew of some sort, this does my sunday dinner and 3-4 other evening meals. I do this every weekend and have a kind of freezer pot luck for my evening meals after work. (should label them really). The other bits I usually do are make up 2 satchets of sugar free jelly, I take a small pot to work every day, and sometimes have some after dinner with double cream.

The extra portions of soup go in the freezer and in a couple of weeks I wont need to make a soup for that week. The same with slow cooked dinner, I've got quite a selection at the minute. I also have fish in the freezer for when I fancy something different, and I get through a tray of eggs in about 2 weeks, scrambled eggs with alsorts mixed in make a filling dinner or even the other night I had cauliflower with melted cream cheese with some cheddar mixed in.

So all Im saying is that with a little forward planning and thought Very low carb is easy and quite econmical. (Im on a budget)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I agree on the planning thing.
We're both retired and diabetic. Himself is a lifelong T1. We make a list of menus for the week on Thursday and construct a shopping list from it. I also note on a chalk board in the kitchen any suff that's run out and needs replacing. The shopping list saves a fortune at the supermarket on Friday morning too. We have a newish low carb cook book, so we're trying some new recipes. We had a simply delicious auberine bake yesterday and a beefy Borscht today.

Hana

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Events can also be daunting. I have a funeral to go to on Wednesday, which in itself is not great, but I know my Aunty will order in loads of sandwiches and prob sausage rolls and other buffet stuff which I wont eat.

So I will take with me a small tub of peanuts, some cheese strings and peperoni type lidl version. Maybe a couple of boiled eggs. If it comes to the worst and Im really hungry I'll start pulling the sandwiches apart for the fillings. Hopefully there will be salad bits I can nibble too. Its a 2 hour journey just to get there, so I'd take a few bits anyway in case we got stuck in traffic.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I also live alone and do similarly by continuing to cook for four but freeze two portions each time. I also take advantage of reduced rates on joints of meat in supermarkets, cook them and slice into portions, pack up in foil and freeze. It is easy then to just cook some greens and defrost a mains portion. Hey presto, ready dinner.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I also live alone and do similarly by continuing to cook for four but freeze two portions each time with one for the next day.

I also take advantage of reduced rates on joints of meat in supermarkets, cook them and slice into portions, pack up in foil and freeze. It is easy then to just cook some greens and defrost a mains portion. Hey presto, ready dinner.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not just low carb.
I'm more low calorie, but I don't eat many carbs as part of that.

I cook in a batch, usually wok or slow cooker, using whatever vegs I have I the fridge, and whatever meat/fish that's on offer, or left from previous family meals. (They're not on a diet). Chili, Chinese, or curry normally. I like spice.

Frozen into meal sized portions in poundland plastic tubs for the days I come from work and haven't time to cook. (Get a marker pen - I write on what they are, and the date, usually comes off in the dishwasher for next time)

Snacks tend to be a set thing, so I know what I'm having, like yoghurt, maybe a piece of fruit, or a few tomatoes.

magriffe1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone suggest a good book for carb counting, please. I'll like to experiment with a low carb diet as I'm type 2 and need to lose a vast amount of weight. Thanks. :?:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
magriffe1 said:
Can anyone suggest a good book for carb counting, please. I'll like to experiment with a low carb diet as I'm type 2 and need to lose a vast amount of weight. Thanks. :?:

do you have a smart phone, "myfitnesspal" is very useful, there is an online version, but the smartphone allows you to use the barcode zapper :thumbup: best of luck

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been diagnosed two weeks but I swear by the app called Carbs and Cals, it's very good