Any ideas?

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I bought some cheeses from Marks & spencers tonight....cheddar, camembert and brie. Any ideas on how to eat them? Especially the brie. I've heard that it's nice sliced and grilled over large mushrooms. Any other recipes? :mrgreen:

ChocFish

Hi Gilly

Have you tried to bake your Camembert/Brie in foil until it is nice and runny and then dipping vegetable sticks into it?

If you are low carbing you can do yourself a sandwich, I have used this a lot when I was still missing bread, slice an aubergine lengthways, about the width of a slice of bread, 2 slices, I then sprinkle salt over and let it sit for about half an hour because I once got a very bitter aubergine, YUK, then rinse it, pat it dry with a paper towel and fry on both sides, slowly fry it, so that it is nice and brown on the outside and cooked inside, and then top this with cheese, any cheese, you can add a crushed clove of garlic first and then add the cheese or whatever, basically the fried aubergine slices are your bread and with enough imagination I think you will find that this is actually not bad at all, I have recently introduced someone to low carbing and he used to love his bacon sandwiches, he is still having them but with the aubergine slices, he says they actually do remind him of toast/fried bread.

Or you could have some of the cheese melted over your vegetables? I often cook broccoli and cauliflower until tender but still with a bit of a bite, not soggy if you know what I mean, keep it warm, then in a sautee pan fry some chopped onion in butter or oil or combination of it, until golden, not brown, add your broccoli/cauliflower, stir through, season with salt, pepper, pinch of nutmeg if you like or season with a bit of stock powder instead of the salt, then lay sliced cheese on top of the vegetables, cover with a lid for a few minutes until the cheese has melted. You can also add crispy fried smoked bacon if you want to for a stronger flavour.

Lots of love

Karen x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat cheese in bits with my fingers. Often for breakfast

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Thanks karen and hanadr. Oh karen....you made my mouth water!! Those ideas sound so scrummy. thanks.

Jenny

If you like Brie buy a whole small round of cheese in a wooden box - without any metal staples. Remove the paper from the cheese and replace it in the box. Discard the box lid. Make lots of little slits in the Brie and press a sliver of garlic in each. Drizzle some decent olive oil on the top. Bake in a hot oven till brown on top and bubbling. Sprinkle with crushed black peppercorns. Fresh or toasted French bread, a mixed leaf salad and a few hard boiled eggs. Nice glass of Muscadet or Touraine.

The Touraine is poured, eggs boiled, salad made and the cheese is about to go in the oven.

You can also egg and breadcrumb wedges of Brie or Camembert and deep fry. Goes well with grilled Portobello mushrooms and white fish or small squids (sprinkle the latter with either white wine or lemon/lime juice and microwave for no more than a minute. Redcurrant jelly or Cranberry sauce to accompany - or be brave and have some hot and sour lime/mango pickle or Wasabi paste.