Steroids for chest infection and high BS. effects on HbA1c results.

Mommayorkie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ruled by my conditions.if it isnt one playing up its another. stopping me leading at least some sort of life.
Hi, borderline type 2 (as my doc called it) for about 18months now. i am also an asthmatic of 22 years and 71 yrs old. diagnosed mild COPD about 7 years ago,. as result of the asthma etc, periodically i have to take steroids and antibiotics. never had any problems apart from oral thrush caused by one or the other of those sometimes. about 2 months ago, i accidentally inhaled some flyspray (I know.. daft isnt it?walked into a room where it had been sprayed.) my bronchial tubes became irritated by it and was put on 4 days of prednisolone.(bear with me on this please.i know its not an asthma forum) . A week before xmas my peak flow was very low so was put on another week of steroids. then boxing day caught a cold,went straigt to my chest so used my rescue meds , another lot of steroids. i have testing just my FBS as i cannot get strips etc from my docs and cant afford to buy enough to test before meals as well. for over a year my FBS has been between 3.5 and 6 depending on what i ate for supper the night before. on diet only by the way. i knew steroids could push BS up but upto around november last year i hadnt had to take them since being diagnosed borderline diabetic,. had a shock on the 3rd day (sat 28th dec) my FBS shot up to 12.1 next day 13.1 on the 30th dec 15.2. started testing 2 hours after a meal.20.7 ... i have an underactive thyroid which tho treated still slows metabolism down a little so 2 hrly tests are usually higher than they should be.i had stopped taking the steroids that day as felt it was stupid to go on. rang the docs who simply said small meals low carbs. will take a few weeks for steroids to gt out of your system/ gradually its comer down, i tried this but was hungry all the time. and with acid reflux among my many conditions i was worried both for that and the IBS as changes like that can set that off ,(and did)
where do i go from here. FBS was at 9 on monday, 9.5 yesterday and 10.2 this morning.but ive gone back to eating some carbs so bound to go up a little. where do i go from here though? why does this happen? will I have to stop having steroids? or will i need to go on tablets? im bothered bout taking metformin in case it affects the IBS and will i now have to be on them permanently.if they put me on them at all. or will they stop the steroids n treat any chest infections with higher doses of antibiotics ? most of all will the steroid induced high BS affect the HbA1c results ?i had that test done yesterday. had just settled down after a hard time accepting that i was diabetic, whether pre,borderline or whatever, it still had to be accepted. my bloods were very good, and diet was fine, just started to be able to eat pineapple, melon and banana in small quantities (IBS had been affected by fruit so been experimenting with different ones. pineapple,1 slice only, doesnt affect either that or the acid reflux.but other citrus fruits do.(not sure if pineapple is citrus anyway).hope someone can answer this for me.