It's hard to cope with this sometimes

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been feeling a bit down the last few days, trying to improve my diet is hard, and managed to cut a second finger on some paper and cuts on my fingers/hands really bother me as I know diabetes impairs wound healing and things can get infected easier, also 'that time of the month' for the first time in about a year because I'm late for depo injection because I can't get one while I'm at uni as I'm not registered with a doctor here as I need to keep registered at the same one so they have all my HbA1c etc records avaible.

I do find it hard to cope with being diabetic sometimes as it won't ever go away, and it might get worse. The possiblity of going blind really scares me. I knew someone with type 2 diabetes who died last year, he had a leg amputated first and had very little feeling in his hands. To see someone go downhill that quickly is scary. He really didn't take care of himself though, he didn't even follow the standard NHS reccomended high-carb diet. But he was only about 50ish, and had been diabetic only about 10 years iirc. It worrys me because I'm 24 so it has a long time to get worse.

just managed to make myself ill eating crisps and chocolate :( Fridge is stocked with things that are much better for me, and that are quite nice. So I don't know why I just ate all that nasty stuff. Well it's not likely to be something I do again at least.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well all have days like that HLW.I find the easiest way to cope with days like that is not to have the temptations in the house,that way I can't get tempted and believe me if it's there I will go for it if I'm feeling low!!Now I go for nuts!!(I can just hear certain comments on the board right now!) :lol:
If you can keep your blood sugar levels down under 7 then you will keep the complications away for a long time.People who do not control their diabetes do fall prey to complications as you have seen.Let this be an incentive to you to control yours.If you keep your bloods under 7 then wound healing should be the same as anyone else.It is only when your blood sugars are consistently high that wound healing can be a problem.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm T2, so my problems are different from yours, but I keep VERY tight ( around 5) and if I hurt myself, I heal normally. In nearly 6 years since diagnosis, I haven't developed any complications. My control wasn't as good in the first 4 years. It's that tight control which is the key.

ChocFish

(((((((((HLW))))))))))

I think everyone has days like these, even non-diabetic people have their dips you know.
And of course you are allowed to feel sorry for yourself and spoil yourself, but maybe next time make it something 'non'food'? Dont worry too much about this unfortunate diabetic man, maybe he was not offered a whole lot of support and good information to help him control his diabetes, there is no reason for you to end like this, you are already doing very well, trust me you really are, you have come to this forum for advice, you come here when things are rough to talk (write) things off your chest, these are all good moves and prove that you are taking your diabetes seriously and things will work out just fine, I am sure of it even if you throw the occasional wobbly, so you have every reason to be proud of yourself - look at me in comparison, I ignored my diabetes for years and suffered consequences, I was lucky to recover, but I could have saved myself and my family a whole load of fear and trouble!

So try to get your blood sugar under good control and hopefully those little cuts will heal really quick, I know how painful these little b*****s can be, try a glycerine handcream, it helps me whenever I am clumsy with the knife.

Chin up and I hope that you are feeling much better already.

Love from

Karen x

Natalie

HLW,

I think everyone gets fed up with it sometimes, not being able to eat freely and what/when I want gets me down too, but I try to look at it as a positive thing - without diabetes I would have carried on eating rubbish, not exercising and probably suffered worse health problems later on in my life. I know it's not easy to just turn on positivity, but thinking like that has helped me alot.

Also, it's sad what happened to the person you mentioned, but I know quite a few type 2s and they haven't suffered because of their diabetes health-wise. In fact, I didn't know half of them were diabetic until I was diagnosed! So there's hope, don't worry, and I think the number of positive members of this forum is a testament to the fact that it's not all doom and gloom, and good health is still possible!

Take care
x

Trinkwasser

HLW said:
I do find it hard to cope with being diabetic sometimes as it won't ever go away, and it might get worse. The possiblity of going blind really scares me. I knew someone with type 2 diabetes who died last year, he had a leg amputated first and had very little feeling in his hands. To see someone go downhill that quickly is scary. He really didn't take care of himself though, he didn't even follow the standard NHS reccomended high-carb diet. But he was only about 50ish, and had been diabetic only about 10 years iirc. It worrys me because I'm 24 so it has a long time to get worse.

Yes this CAN happen - if you let it.

OTOH I know someone elsewhere who has maintained pretty much normal numbers for 25 years through a combination of low carbing and heroic amounts of cycling. He lost scads of weight and came off all his meds.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes that guy did not take care of himself at all which was probably the cause of his problems. Thanks for all the replies.
What I usually do to avoid snacking on things when watching TV etc is do cross-stitch, if it's on white fabic you need very clean hands to avoid marks on it (because you are holding it for hours and hours so it gets grubby eventually if you aren't careful), so you can't eat anything with your fingers while doing it. I suppose you could eat with cutlery but that's a bit over-the-top for a snack!