Pump how cant i get one

scooter009

I have been diabetic for 20 years now and from day one i have not been able to get to grips with it i have always had bg of 20mmol/L and above and HBA1c was above 12 "very bad :( " when i first heard of the pump many moons ago i asked about it and was told that it was still in a tryout so i left it for a year then asked again and got told no one had been trained on it so i left it time went on and i was not getting any better at my control so i kept asking and kept getting excuses then got told it was down to funding so i told them i would pay for it at the time it was £2000 to buy and then £1000 a year to Maintain and still got told no what do i need to get one and now i have got so much problems with my health HELP

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Hiya Scooter, and welcome to the forum. We have a number of pump users who will be able to answer your question.

Regards, Tubs.

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hi!

what's your HbA1c?
Can you count carbs?

You PCT CANNOT refuse you a pump on the grounds of funding anymore.
Have a look at This Thread and follow the link to the recently updated NICE guildlines.

If you think you meet the criteria for a pump you can ask for one and talk about it with your PCT.

that is your first port of call... You will need to know how to carb count and know who carb:insulin ratio's work in order to get a pump.

Im currently in the process of trying to get a pump also, so this information is what i've learnt so far. My PCT have put me on a course to learn carb counting and insulin effects... even though i already can count carbs, it's a pre-requisit for pump funding to go on the course.

Hope this helps some!

scooter009

my HBA1c was above 12 has been more and as for counting carbs im not the best at.. and been told to stay off most kinds of food and drinks as my Kidneys are failing got about 4% left and my potassium level is 6.. me and my doctor get on well and he has told me if i continue this way i will only have about 2 years to live, now you may think how can he say that well when i was 17 years old he told me that when i was 35 years old i would not be able to see or .. well not hear. and so far i have had treatment on my eyes 3 times as im going blind high Bp high cholesterol and on so meny tablets.
and sometimes just want to give up

jopar

You need to first approach either your diabetic nurse or consultant who ever you see first, if you are being treatment by your GP, then you would need to referral to a consultant, unless your GP is willing to prescribe you a pump, the later is very difficult but the if you got the right GP then not impossible, just unlikely.

To get the best from your insulin pump, you will need to be able to carb count, also understand how these affect you etc. But there is nothing in the NICE guidelines to say that you have to had attended a formal training course, to whether you would need to attend a forum training course would be dependant of you PCT, as it seems some PCT’s use this as a method of stalling funding… The consultant says yes to the pump, but then the PCT says that you have to attend and carb training course, which the waiting list for this is xxx amount of time.. A tad unfair..

Best advice though, is do your research first about pumping, so you know what it can and can’t do, what expectation that you have about pumping… And if you can identify any areas that having the pump would be helpful…