HBA1C of 48 mmol/mol ?? Am I T2?

Esox

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Following routine blood tests, glucose was 7 or 7.5 mmol. Was told needed HBA1C doing. Results of this was 48 mmol/mol of which I was told by GP's receptionist that this was fine and nothing else needs to be done.

I am 51, hypertension (medicated), depression (medicated), sleep apnoea (CPAP Machine) and a few other bits and bobs wrong with me. No diabetes in family. However, from what I have read a HBA1C of 48 is not where it should be for a non-diabetic.

Have I missed something or is my GP correct? I have an appointment to see a different on Friday as it does not seem correct to me. Should I be correct to go back?

Andy

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it is probably correct. Are you over weight? Then reducing weight can reduce blood glucose as well, along with high blood pressure.

An easy way to reduce weight is to take away carbohydrates from your diet, including beer, and add good quality fat instead. It might work wonders with bg as well. It will probably lower your blood pressure and may lift your depression.

Esox

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it is probably correct. Are you over weight? Then reducing weight can reduce blood glucose as well, along with high blood pressure.

An easy way to reduce weight is to take away carbohydrates from your diet, including beer, and add good quality fat instead. It might work wonders with bg as well. It will probably lower your blood pressure and may lift your depression.

Esox

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A little over weight around mid-ships, last time did BMI, i think it was 29. I appreciate your comments, and know I need to shed a few pounds. I remain a little puzzled over GP's comments though.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did your GP say?

If your BMI is now 29, you may not be at all diabetic if you were BMI 22, nor have BP problems or the rest.

Check out low carb diets and see what you fancy. I go for the high fat option if I can choose and stay away from carbs all days exept Sunday, when I can have bread, jam and even a risotto.

Esox

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
GP said that my HBA1C of 48 was fine.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BMI of 29 is definitely worth being worried about, 25-30 is overweight.

An HbA1c of 48 would be good for awell controlled diabetic.

I would suggest you lose weight, improve diet and see where you get to.

Gardengnome

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
going to a gym
My dr says Hba1c of 48 is diabetic - maybe he has it wrong?

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I had my diabetic checks today and there was mention of trying to keep below 42. I'd just gone up to 44. However i was 89 at diagnosis last year.
Don't be in a rush to get diagnosed with diabetes, you know what you should do and with your level they would suggest diet and exercise anyway so it won't make a lot of difference.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App