High blood sugars

gemma.88

My son as recently been diagnosed with diabetes, his blood sugars are in normal range in the.morning and then shoot up high over the day, when got home today his dad told me his blood sugars were just over 27 mmol, he's on minimum insulin at the moment because the diabetes nurse and doctor say he's been caught early and in the early stages, he as 1 unit in his lantus used to have it at bedtime now as it in the morning, and 1 unit of nova rapid if his blood sugars r over 15 at meal times, don't see the nurse until next week now, cut out sugars as much as poss although nurse says to give him normal food. Any advice on how to stabalise his blood sugars abit more ??? X
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I've been insulin dependent for 30 years. Only in recent years have I been able to control my blood sugar exceptionally well.

I discovered that simply by eating rye bread steadily throughout the day, until 4pm, my blood sugar tends to remain stable. (It's very good with Biona Pear & Apple Spread.) I don't eat any rye bread after 4pm, because that will tend to push my blood sugar up during the night.

My diet is not extraordinary, but it's certainly not normal: I feed the insulin I take, rather than take insulin in order to try (quite unrealistically) to match the more normal eating habits of others.

By the time I go to bed, the insulin I take during the day is 'fed' and gone. (Okay, I take a small amount of slow-acting Insulatard to prevent my level rising overnight.) So I go to bed confident that I will wake in the morning as normal, and that my blood sugar won't be too high.

I test my blood sugar a lot - 16 odd times per day. But mostly I use the simple, cheap and perfectly functional visually read strips: Betachek Visual or Glucoflex-R.

My blood sugar is near normal most of the time. I wonder whether your son is taking enough insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
How old is your son? And which type of diabetes has he got?

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
O.k. I think I found the information in your last posts. 6 years old and t1.
Is it right that you only have to give him 1 unit lantus and novorapid only to correct? Sorry for asking but I´m sometimes not sure if I understand things right. I never heard of anyone t1 given so less insuline. If he´s high during the day I think he needs more insulin now. I think it would be good for your son to get an inslinepump. You can measure out less than 1 unit (0,25) and so get exactly the dose that he needs.
My daughter got one at the age of 13 and she´s very happy with it. Life is easier with the pump for her.

Our doctor always told me that I should give my daughter normal food because if I don´t my daughter might hate the diabetes or eat things without telling me and so without giving insuline.
Hope this helps you a little.

gemma.88

O yes I know its low, the nurse says he's been diagnosed really early so his pancreas is still producing a little insulin of its own, but I agree I do think he needs more now, I will also ask about a pump next time I c her, thanks xx
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e