Type 2 diabetes with protein in urine

Maglily

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone

I have just been told I have protein in my urine and am not sure what to or what not to eat anymore. Anyone in a similar situation out there? Any advice will be very much appreciated please.

Maglily

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same thing. Have cut down carbs and have been drinking loads of water, everything was good!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Thanks for that. I'm all at sea at the moment. Can't see the diabetic dr for 5 weeks for advice. Thought I'd better cut down protein and inc carbs but maybe this is wrong too.

abb0

How do you know you have protein in your urine, surely your dr would not have said that and then nothing else?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

as far as I'm aware, it's a symptom of high blood sugars and will go away once you get those levels down.
You should REDUCE your carbs, and not worry too much about protein or fats. There is plenty of good advice to be found on this message board if you have a browse round, and someone will be along soon with more knowledge than I have.

wmc1500

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have curbed drinking which has helped alot. Like everything, once you tale healthy options, things seem to sort themselves out. Don't get stressed over the protien.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I was prescribed medication that would allegedly increase protein in urine. Was advised to practice personal hygiene (having a 'dab' with toilet tissue after using the loo) and also advised to use Caniston cream if discomfort occurred. No problems so far, after three months.

sarap878

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Include fruit and vegetables in your diet, take food that has less amount of protein.

Drink plenty of water so that your kidney can filter and not allow your body to buildup crystal.

See your doctor and check your kidneys. If the kidneys are damaged then protein will be find in the urine.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to talk to your doctor about why you have protein in your urine and what it indicates for you before you do anything.
Basically the kidneys act as a filter or a sieve and bigger molecules like protein shouldn't normally get though. If they are leaking protein it can be temporary as in an infection, it can sometimes happen when you have been very active . Sometimes people find that on a repeat test the sample is clear.

We can also get protein in the urine if the kidney isn't able to filter the blood efficiently.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Kidneyhealth/Documents/protein in urine.pdf
Normally doctors will do both a test for protein and a blood test that enables them to estimate your filtration rate. It's those two tests together that indicate whether you have got reduced kidney function. This last test is also part of the normal tests that people with diabetes have each year.
http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/gfr

If you have been told that that you have reduced kidney function then the Edinburgh renal unit says this about protein.
"In the past a low protein diet was often recommended to slow down the steady deterioration of kidney function that occurs in some patients. We don't advise this any more, instead recommending a controlled protein diet (not low, not high; 0.8-1g protein per kg of ideal body weight, if you like measuring"

(the WHO RDA is .83g per kg so this is actually what all of us should be eating, many of us do tend to eat too much.)

The US DAVITA site says much the same
If you are in stages 1, 2, or 3 of CKD," your protein intake may be limited to 12-15% of your calorie intake each day. This is the same level recommended by the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) for a healthy diet for normal adults. It may seem like a restriction because the average American eats a high protein diet."