Diabetic Tattoo

Joel Fabric

I've recently saw a picture of a tattoo someone had done on their wrist showing they were T1 Diabetic. Kinda like a medic alert bracelet, but a bit more permanent! I've already got a couple of tattoos, so I'm quite taken with the idea...

2609_75351921776_561556776_2042338_2609580_n.jpg

What does everyone think? I've had to be taken into hospital before, and I only have one of the emergency info cards in my wallet, so the paramedics had no idea that I'm T1, so this might help with that.

Also, I quite like the fact that people will see it and know. I know Diabetes is nothing to show off about, but it's nothing to be ashamed of either, and I have no qualms telling anyone that I am.

I'm particularly interested in what the female members of the board think - don't want to get somethinng that girls find gross!

mmackay20040

Hi, I'm female and I like it!! I'm actually now very keen to get something similar. I already have 2 tattoos. I wouldn't find it a turn-off!
I think I might have to look into this now!

Thanks!

Marie xx

Reactions: 4 people

sandymaynard

Hi
alot of girls/women might get worried by it! there again, alot of people don't know how to cope with it at best of times!
i have a medic alert bracelet! one that my fiancee had done for me!
It is made out of pure silver!
I have only the one Tattoo, and that is my fiancee's name through a love heart! By the way yes i am female!
I don't know, why be ashmed that you are a diabettic! my mum is type 1! and she had been ashmed until she had me! then decided that she got something wonderful!
Thing is being diabettic does not make you less of a person!
My saying is.. What does not kill us, Makes us stronger!
So why not it is up to you! but i dont know that i would like it much if it was me! it is a choice that only you could make!

Jay3109

I wouldn't presume to advise anyone on this - it is personal choice. But I'm afraid that my own families experience with tattoos was involuntary and consisted merely of a triangle and some numbers. So no, as an idea for me, I think it stinks.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
we have had a discussion about tattoo's before and a lot seemed to go for it, i wear a sos bracelet as i cant have tattoos but i would have one if i could, and as a girly i wouldnt be put off by one :D

Joel Fabric

I'm torn now. A few people have said they like the idea, a few said they don't. One girl said it would definitely put her off! There's also the fact that it'd hurt like hell on the wrist...

Aadrgon

Hi Joel,

From a male point of view, I would say if you like the idea - go for it. It might just save your life.
As far as girls are concerned, if they are put off by a tattoo like that then perhaps they shouldn't be hanging around a diabetic rock star :)

Reactions: 2 people

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a design for a tattoo that I really like. It's an ambigram that reads "diabetic" right-way-up and up-side-down. I got pretty serious about it a while back and modified it a little - I'm still considering getting it done...

I think it's a great idea. The fact that it might save your life is reason enough for me.

malky

I have one tattoo already and will get another at some point and this is a style i have considered as it could save my life at some point also as said its there for life so you need to know you want it. This is what i take into consideration as my first says 'made in scotland' and as i was this is something that will not change hense why i thought about one stating am diabetic as this will not change for the rest of my life. I would say go for it if you like it and have found a design you like and dont worry what others think if they dont like fair enough but your diabetic so they would have to live with that.

Patch i would love to see a picture of that design your talking about it sounds interesting obviously just the style of the word diabetic and not your tweeked version wouldnt want to steal it

H

Hooked

I'd like to eventually get a wee T1 Diabetes tattoo on the inside of my wrist. Just haven't settled on a design as yet. Something small. but readable!

T1Taz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd like to eventually get a wee T1 Diabetes tattoo on the inside of my wrist. Just haven't settled on a design as yet. Something small. but readable!

I know what you mean, ive been looking at different options, I want it to be recognisable as a medic alert but not so obvious that it looks sterile & stands out. I was thinking of using the medical symbol but softer with italic font Type 1 down the left side & Diabetic donw the right
DSCF2122.jpeg
DSCF2122.jpeg
Medical-Tattoo-wrist-300x200.jpeg

But smaller, the tattattooist I used for my horse tattoo does very detailed work so he can keep it 1/2 the size of the above one

H

Hooked

I know what you mean, ive been looking at different options, I want it to be recognisable as a medic alert but not so obvious that it looks sterile & stands out. I was thinking of using the medical symbol but softer with italic font Type 1 down the left side & Diabetic donw the rightView attachment 4462View attachment 4462 View attachment 4463
But smaller, the tattattooist I used for my horse tattoo does very detailed work so he can keep it 1/2 the size of the above one
I like that idea, I may steal it from you. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got one on my left wrist because I wasn't a fan of any of the wristbands I've seen! It does depend on the person though tattoos are still very marmite I think. Here's mine:

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399071053.738020.jpg

And the rest...

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1399071133.253419.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 12 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wonder about the "Type 1" part because they keep changing the name of this - juvenile onset, insulin dependent, autoimmune, Type 1, forward and backwards again...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App