Celaric?

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love celeriac grated and in mayo as a salad. Not sure of the carbs though as low carb diet is new to me. We also use it as a veg in stews. For mash just cook until soft and mash like you would swede.

Aubergine in lasagne is great - some might even call it moussaka! I ignore the recipes which say slice, salt and put a weight on it. That's for the old, tough aubergines we used to get in the UK which could be bitter. I just slice it and cook it between the meat layers. I also love it in large chunks in a lamb and spinach curry. I don't fry anything first, just plonk it all in a pan with curry spices and stock, bring to boil then simmer until the stock has massively reduced to a thick gravy consistency and the meat is cooked to tender. Then I eat with yoghurt and naan bread, but now I'm doung low carb I will have to forget the naan as I just looked in the Carbs and Cals book which popped through my door from Amazon today and the carbs in naan are rocket sky high. I have a lot of relearning to do.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I tried it as a substitute to potatoes when I was below 90g a day, it's got quite a strong taste and I didn't like it to be honest, however why don't you parboil the celeriac and then finish off roasted in the oven, if you season well with herbs and spices it might mask the flavour.

H

Hooked

I love celeriac grated and in mayo as a salad. Not sure of the carbs though as low carb diet is new to me. We also use it as a veg in stews. For mash just cook until soft and mash like you would swede.

Aubergine in lasagne is great - some might even call it moussaka! I ignore the recipes which say slice, salt and put a weight on it. That's for the old, tough aubergines we used to get in the UK which could be bitter. I just slice it and cook it between the meat layers. I also love it in large chunks in a lamb and spinach curry. I don't fry anything first, just plonk it all in a pan with curry spices and stock, bring to boil then simmer until the stock has massively reduced to a thick gravy consistency and the meat is cooked to tender. Then I eat with yoghurt and naan bread, but now I'm doung low carb I will have to forget the naan as I just looked in the Carbs and Cals book which popped through my door from Amazon today and the carbs in naan are rocket sky high. I have a lot of relearning to do.
Brill, thanks for the tips. :)

H

Hooked

I tried it as a substitute to potatoes when I was below 90g a day, it's got quite a strong taste and I didn't like it to be honest, however why don't you parboil the celeriac and then finish off roasted in the oven, if you season well with herbs and spices it might mask the flavour.
Mmmh, if it's not really to my taste, I might try mixing it in with the mashed potatoes the rest of the family are having to reduce the total carb in my portion maybe. I'm hoping I like it, fingers crossed! Thanks for letting me know. :)

iHs

I also love celeriac but just lately, havent seen being sold anymore in the supermarkets, so have got butternut squash instead. BS and celeriac are great sliced up and just fried or shoved in slow cooker or roasting dish in oven

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asda still has celeriac around here I use it in lasane par boiled and used to replace the pasta sheets and I roast it in cocoanut oil with swede and 1 small new potato for me and a couple of cloves of garlic
CAROL

Reactions: 3 people

annew

I like it cooked like dauphinois potatoes. Just slice very thinly, put in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, slosh in some cream - single or double, mix so that slices are evenly covered, put in buttered ovenproof dish bake in oven about 180 degrees for about an hour. Can also top with grated cheese. Yummy and low carb.

H

Hooked

I also love celeriac but just lately, havent seen being sold anymore in the supermarkets, so have got butternut squash instead. BS and celeriac are great sliced up and just fried or shoved in slow cooker or roasting dish in oven

I LOVE butternut squash, but have never been very good at counting it, I always seem to under (occasionally over) estimate it.
Plenty of celeriac here, Lidl and Tescos always seem to have it in stock. I've just never bought it before.

H

Hooked

I like it cooked like dauphinois potatoes. Just slice very thinly, put in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, slosh in some cream - single or double, mix so that slices are evenly covered, put in buttered ovenproof dish bake in oven about 180 degrees for about an hour. Can also top with grated cheese. Yummy and low carb.
I'll def have to try that, sounds yum!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I boil the celeriac and mix it with a generous helping of butter to make a mash. Simple and satisfying. Drain well, or it will be watery.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
i like to brown my aubergine before layering it in my "moussaka/lasagna"

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mmmh, if it's not really to my taste, I might try mixing it in with the mashed potatoes the rest of the family are having to reduce the total carb in my portion maybe. I'm hoping I like it, fingers crossed! Thanks for letting me know. :)

You might like it Hooked, lets face it we all have different tastes :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac :yuck:

Aubergine :hungry:

The hairy bikers suggest using leek just like leaves of lasagne. Chop the top and bottom off the leek. Slice the leek half way through, down its length. Peel back the layers. Each one is a lasagne sheet.

I always find that substituting low carb options is doomed to failure. It never tastes as good leading to disappointment. I do much better if I don't know the recipe first. That way, I add a lovely, filling, satisfying meal, without any disappointing comparisons.

The only exception to this is low carb cauliflower cheese. That is MUCH nicer than that bland carby stuff.

3 large cauli flour
1 250g cream cheese
Parmesan
1 wedge Stilton or 1 block of super vintage mature cheddar

Boil cauli til tender.
Drain well.
Mash.
Tip in cheese (roughly chopped, if you like. Don't waste time grating - it's gonna melt anyway).
Mash/stir in cheese
Season to taste (I use salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, umami or paprika)

Serve, or freeze in portions till needed.

It takes moments. Yum.

H

Hooked

Celeriac :yuck:

Aubergine :hungry:

The hairy bikers suggest using leek just like leaves of lasagne. Chop the top and bottom off the leek. Slice the leek half way through, down its length. Peel back the layers. Each one is a lasagne sheet.

I always find that substituting low carb options is doomed to failure. It never tastes as good leading to disappointment. I do much better if I don't know the recipe first. That way, I add a lovely, filling, satisfying meal, without any disappointing comparisons.

The only exception to this is low carb cauliflower cheese. That is MUCH nicer than that bland carby stuff.

3 large cauli flour
1 250g cream cheese
Parmesan
1 wedge Stilton or 1 block of super vintage mature cheddar

Boil cauli til tender.
Drain well.
Mash.
Tip in cheese (roughly chopped, if you like. Don't waste time grating - it's gonna melt anyway).
Mash/stir in cheese
Season to taste (I use salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, umami or paprika)

Serve, or freeze in portions till needed.

It takes moments. Yum.
Hmmm, might try that cheese sauce tomorrow.... if the kids don't devour the block of cheese first! Thanks for that.

I love leeks, but personally, I'd not enjoy them in lasagne at all to be honest. I'm thinking the aubergine might work well though. :)

It's pork and rice for dinner tonight; I was never huge into rice anyway, and do love the grated cauli sub for it. It's one low carb sub that really works for me. :)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree on the preference for aubergine over celeriac but let´s face it, when can you get locally produced, organic aubergine? Not all the year around. I have recently planted 20 in my poly-tunnel and they are budding so it will take a while.

Celeriac comes from a neighbour. I have tried to grow them but so far no real success as a celeriac farmer.

Until my aubergine plants start to yield I have to rely on the Dutch, unfortunately.

hornplayer

Like celeriac, but, seriously, unless you, and your family really love it, wear gloves when cutting it - especially grating it! and use a separate chopping board!! It transfers, and lingers!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh, I'm glad you told me that! Thanks. :)
It is not a problem. Might seem a strong flavour at first, but it is nice and wears off. Hubby is a fan of celeriac and he can be soo sensitive to tastes and smells.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
I tried the hairy bikers lasagna recipe and, as long as you ignore the low fat nonsense, the leeks work incredibly well. They don't really taste like leeks anymore - always a plus in my book!