So unhappy

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so fed up with life. I'm 18 and I've had diabetes since I was 4. I can feel it's stopping me do stuff that my friends do and I can't see how I can have a normal future. I hardly sleep because I'm so worried I am going to hypo when I sleep. Just can't cope anymore

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I used to feel like that a lot of the time it does get better r u on a pump or mdi ? A pump can help with the hypo thing and would also allow you to be a bit more flexible with eating and going out etc it takes a bit of getting used to and takes a while to get things just right but is well worth the effort might be worth speaking to your dsn if u haven't already

Hope you start to pick up soon it is a horrible condition that only people that have it really understand remember we have all been there at some point

Danae

Reactions: 2 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a lot older than you, but I do remember being 18. I also have a son in his early 20's, so have observed "18" fairly recently. It can be a difficult time, diabetic or not. You are possibly young enough for there to be a cure in your lifetime, but, for the meantime, diabetes is part of your normal future. You will have to work it into whatever exciting, rewarding, or just plain normal things that you do with your life, along with being good at some things and hopeless at others. Being much older, I know many diabetics who have had good, happy lives, despite it all - and so will you.
But, you do need some help with occurrence and fear of hypos and I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice on that. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help. (I've just seen that someone has beaten me to it and raised the issue of pumps).
big hug!
Sally

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So sorry that your feeling this way.

Are you keeping in touch with your diabetes team? Night-time hypo's are mainly caused by too much basal insulin being taken, so if your experiencing them on a regular basis then you need to reduce the dose, it will mean testing your bg for a few nights but worth it to get a good nights sleep once your bg levels are stabilised.

Diabetes itself shouldn't stop you leading a full and active life, if things are all becoming too much then you need to speak with your diabetes consultant, there's help out there but you need to make them aware of the problem first.

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the replies. Yes I'm on a pump and I am currently getting my pump sorted to help with my hypos. But because I've had them already it's just in my mind that it's going to happen again.
Whenever anything bad happens in my life I just blame my diabetes and I'm just so sick of it now :( I am embarrassed to talk to anyone at my diabetic centre because I see everyone else getting on with it and they seem ok and I can't do that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Everyone has problems from time to time so don't be fooled by what you see at the diabetes clinic. They are there to help you and something as complex as a insulin pump needs some professional input, do talk to them about all your problems as there's nothing that you could say that they haven't heard before.

Dzialo

I also felt so and sometimes still do but than figure out slowly slowly how to actually do all these stuff

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
You know, it's a funny thing about life, but other people always seem to be getting on with things and being OK. But the funnier thing still is that those same people often think that YOU are getting on with things and doing fine and are having inner panics about their own problems and perceived failings.
Never mind other people. You ask the questions you need to ask.
sally

Reactions: 3 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ciaramoh

I'm sorry you are having a tough time with diabetes at the moment.

Diabetes is a challenging, ever changing condition and you can't do it alone.without support from family, friends and your diabetes team. All the others you see getting on with it are facing the same assortment of problems as yourself. Please don't feel in the least embarrassed to ask for help at your clinic, that is what they are there to do.

You only get tiny amounts of basal insulin through your pump every few minutes, if you are experiencing hypos during the night please get more help from your DSN to adjust the pump settings. It is amazing how much better results you can get with a little bit of tweaking. I hope you are able to feel a bit better soon.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so fed up with life. I'm 18 and I've had diabetes since I was 4. I can feel it's stopping me do stuff that my friends do and I can't see how I can have a normal future. I hardly sleep because I'm so worried I am going to hypo when I sleep. Just can't cope anymore

I can appreciate at 18 life sucks.. Got the tee shirt.. However!??
Some of the stuff it stopped me doing that my mates did.. Lol years later down the line I can see the effects the stuff my mates did.. I look like I had an "easy paper round" in comparison... (T1, 38 years.)
Normal future..? I'm nearly 46 & still doing what the hell I want... I'm at ease with the D & aware it's there.. What is normal? Different strokes, different folks...
You have worries.. Voice em.. Ask away.. There is a "work around" & even advantages to the lifestyle..
Talk to the teens.. But listen to the old timers too.. Sorry to say this, but you kids haven't invented it... A lot of the "aspirational" stuff you see in the media is devised by old geezers in suits anyway... ;):cool:

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Remember most people here really do know how you feel. I was determined diabetes wasn't going to rule me, I was going to rule it. Having said that, I must admit I haven't always been successful.
If you don't feel comfortable talking to the diabetic nurses or doctors, try finding a Young Diabetic group - most clinics run them. I found it really good talking to people my own age (most groups were 18-25) and finding I wasn't the only one with these issues and different people have different ideas of 'fix its', it's really good to bounce ideas of each other.

As for stopping you doing what you want- Sir Steve Redgrave, Halle Berry - also diabetic. Go back in time Gary Mabbut (professional footballer) and I'm sure many more. These people show diabetes does not mean you can't do things.

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys. I think it's just getting too much at the moment and feel like and idiot because I can't get it sorted. If it doesn't pass then I'll talk to my diabetic team.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember most people here really do know how you feel. I was determined diabetes wasn't going to rule me, I was going to rule it. Having said that, I must admit I haven't always been successful.
If you don't feel comfortable talking to the diabetic nurses or doctors, try finding a Young Diabetic group - most clinics run them. I found it really good talking to people my own age (most groups were 18-25) and finding I wasn't the only one with these issues and different people have different ideas of 'fix its', it's really good to bounce ideas of each other.

As for stopping you doing what you want- Sir Steve Redgrave, Halle Berry - also diabetic. Go back in time Gary Mabbut (professional footballer) and I'm sure many more. These people show diabetes does not mean you can't do things.

Stan Laurel.. Bret Michaels (singer from 80's glam metal band Poison.) Elaine Stritch.. (Broadway veteran.) Theresa May.. (Politician.)
The list goes on.....

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Haha thank you :) I know people have become famous with diabetes.
But I just want a 'normal' life. Like I want to one day live by myself but what happens if I do and I have a hypo over night or even in the day and I'm by myself? It's that what scares me

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha thank you :) I know people have become famous with diabetes.
But I just want a 'normal' life. Like I want to one day live by myself but what happens if I do and I have a hypo over night or even in the day and I'm by myself? It's that what scares me

Are you hypo aware...? Do you know the signs..?

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know the signs but I don't feel them. I am normally at 1 or 2 before I feel them so that makes it hard and that's why I worry

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know the signs but I don't feel them. I am normally at 1 or 2 before I feel them so that makes it hard and that's why I worry

How do you normally cope..? Do you have someone keeping a constant eye open for you..?
Just give a general set up regarding this..

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I test my blood a lot but my family keep an eye all the time and if I'm not with them I test my blood even more. It's the only way I can stay calm.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I test my blood a lot but my family keep an eye all the time and if I'm not with them I test my blood even more. It's the only way I can stay calm.

The family intervention.. Is this their concern or your own discretion.. ?
I'm trying to get a picture of who worries the most...