How many bms ?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey ,
I'm not quiet pregnant yet , but I will be trying very very very soon . For those of you who are pregnant or have been pregnant . How many times a day did you test your bloods?
I mean I don't want to turn into a loonitic and do millions a day , so I was just wondering what you guys ended up testing ?

Thank you .

:):):)

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Chloe,
they recommend testing pre meal, 1 or 2hr post meals and pre bed.
I'm currently 12+4 weeks. Personally I test about 15-20 times a day as I hypo a lot. On top of this I also have CGMS so yes, am probably over killing it. However, my HbA1c is currently 5.4 at last check so whatever am doing is clearly working (although mypoor fingers are covered in little holes)!
Hope that helps.
good luck when you start trying.
BW
Jess

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
AH cloe and Jess, when I fall pregnant I know full well ill be doing mine a million times a day! hehe

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations jess on your pregnancy , how exciting your actually there wow hehe . Good luck throughout your journey :)

Oh I know girls lol , I'm a bit of a stress head :facepalm: Wow that is a lot of bms you are doing but you have your reasons didn't expect to hear that many haha . I think I would like to do mine as I also got advised pre meals 1 hour post and bed . So that would be 7 . I feel for me personally if I was to do more than advised to , id drive myself insane with even more worry and would be looking and analysing every little detail .
Are you currently testing during the night aswell ? And getting all the strips from gp . It may all change if I hopefully get pregnant . But I think from a personal point of view that might be best for me , and still feel it's enough so is safe for baby too . We shall see lol .
Oh jess oh I thought that your poor fingers lol . Must be so sore .

Thank you for the good luck wishes , eeeeek .

Take care

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Cloe,
I'm only testing during the night if I'm hypo or if I wake up and my cgms indicates I'm high (I silence it's alarms at night otherwise I wouldn't get any sleep). I've always tested a lot because have had really brittle control since was diagnosed 4 years ago so think my fingers are used to it now.
Thanks for the good luck, so relieved to be passed the 12 week mark now, am actually letting myself get a bit excited now!
Good luck with your journey.
If you have any other ques just ask, this forum is just brill and such a support I think because I don't know about you but I don't really know anyone else in the same situation.
Jess
X

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jess :) .
Oh I see yes that's totally understandable I can understand why now lol .
That's good to know that you are not deliberately waking yourself up too test , as like you said , do need to get some sort of sleep .
Thank you for being so kind and helping me out with my questions . I am the Same as you I know no one in the same position . So to come on here and get your questions answered and just general diabetes and pregnancy chat is brilliant .
You sound as if you have done brilliantly especially with your hba1c , I take it you have managed to keep your bms with in the target ranges . Are you on injections or the pump ?

I was given the go ahead the begging of July , so I waited to have my period then I stopped taking my pill , so I want to have one more period being off the pill , and then that's when I will start trying , I have been on folic acid too so it's all going in the right direction so far . I will also go for another hba1c literally before I try so within 1-2 weeks from now . And then all fingers crossed from there really lol.

Oh I bet you are must be such an amazing feeling being at the twelve week mark . I can imagine it will all start to get exciting especially when you start growing more and more , again sending you loads of good luck wishes .

jade88

Hi cloe when I had my first clinic I was testing 8 times a day - was told I didn't need to do it this much!?
I was advised to test before meals and before bed (was told once pregnant will need to test 1 hr after meals aswell) xxx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi cloe when I had my first clinic I was testing 8 times a day - was told I didn't need to do it this much!?
I was advised to test before meals and before bed (was told once pregnant will need to test 1 hr after meals aswell) xxx
Hey jade thank you for replying .
That's brilliant , as I was also told the same thing too , but I was unsure as to what people where doing once actually pregnant if you get what I mean
So I think I will stick to doing the 7 bms as like I said before feel it's enough to know whats going on and healthy for the baby .
Like I said above also I'm going to wait to have this period which 'should' be 1-2 weeks times , then we are going to start trying .
So very exciting times . Where abouts are you on your journey at the moment ?

Take care

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Chloe,
I'm on a pump and have been for about 3 years now. Combined with the cgms it's been a life changer but not for everyone I know.
It's great to be over the 12 week hurdle and also exciting to share the news with friends and family, my parents were completely shocked! They thought the diabetes would stop us being able to have kids and we hadn't told them we were trying... Was hilarious!
Good luck when you start trying, such an exciting time!
X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey jess :)

that's brilliant that the pump works for you and an added bonus for the cgm lol . I'm one of them people where I think the pump isn't for me , I was offered it at pre pregnancy , but I never warmed to the idea of it , and my Dsn said I'm doing so well on my injections and I'm there, to not change , but I'm not ruling it out for during pregnancy , but I'm hoping all goes well with being on injections lol .

Oh wow haha I bet their faces where a picture and what brilliant news for them considering what they thought about diabetes and pregnancy .
Do you think you will find the sex of the baby out or do you want a surprise lol . It's so lovely to hear how well your doing with both diabetes and pregnancy . Makes you feel a bit more confident you know ,keep us updated will be great to hear how you get on .

Thank you so much , yes me and my partner are very excited , and can't believe how close we are too trying I guess a bit like you not believing how far you have come .
Good luck good luck good luck.

:D:D:D

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
I think they recommend at least 10 times a day. I think I was doing more than that at the start of the pregnancy because I had lots of hypos. Don't forget to test before driving If you drive too. I did ease off on the testing towards the end of the pregnancy because my sugar levels were fairly stable for the last couple of months.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they recommend at least 10 times a day. I think I was doing more than that at the start of the pregnancy because I had lots of hypos. Don't forget to test before driving If you drive too. I did ease off on the testing towards the end of the pregnancy because my sugar levels were fairly stable for the last couple of months.

Thankyou for replying .
I so far have been advised to test pre and post meals and bed time . It's so strange how different people in different areas get advised slightly different , but like you said you had been hypoing so ended up doing more . Since I've came off my pill all my insulin intake has reduced as all i was doing was hypoing . Me and my partner are at the stage of trying very very very soon very excited . I think 7 would be a good starting point then see how it goes for me once I'm in the situation as I can't determine whats going to happen lol !!
But it's good to hear what you did through your journey thank you