Change in meter different readings

sue1959

I've just got a new meter, my old one wasn't working properly and they don't have them anymore. My readings are now 3 points higher than with my old meter. My new meter, Contour XT, gave me a reading of 14! and my old one,Freestyle lite, gave me a reading of 11. Why is this and which is the most accurate?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
It does not matter which is highest both readings are too high, so that is your primary concern.

Optima sent me calibration check solutions when I rang them but they will only check at lower levels.

sue1959

It does not matter which is highest both readings are too high, so that is your primary concern.

Optima sent me calibration check solutions when I rang them but they will only check at lower levels.
I had an eventful weekend so will be cutting back now, usually 8. It's the first time I've used the new meter though.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just got a new meter, my old one wasn't working properly and they don't have them anymore. My readings are now 3 points higher than with my old meter. My new meter, Contour XT, gave me a reading of 14! and my old one,Freestyle lite, gave me a reading of 11. Why is this and which is the most accurate?

One reading isn't enough to decide the meter reads higher. It could be one of those rogue readings we all (very annoyingly) have from time to time.

Over the longer term you'll be able to get a better idea, especially if you also keep a food diary, and can compare readings from the same meals, using the old meter.

Good luck getting your numbers down.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

If your old meter (Contour XT) wasn't working properly then this would explain the difference in bg readings, but tbh you very rarely get the same reading when comparing meters, it's hard enough trying to get the same reading twice sticking with just the one meter.