Diabetic Food - Why is it sold?

jaykay

Hey Daz G. I read somewhere ( I have an awful memory and always have had so can't blame the diabetes :wink: ) that sweetener tablets are much better for one than the powder/grains. Something to do with the chemical make up of each. It was a scientific study I think but I can't remember which sweetener it was about . Not very helpful I know but I know at the time it was pointed enough for me to change to the little tablets. Now I find them too sweet anyway and don't have either in my tea. The rooibos tea that is flavoured with natural vanilla is quite sweet anyway.

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Food manufactures rely on people's ignorance and the food industry is a large one whe. It comes to this.

Especially as a large percentage of diabetics grew up in a time when food choice was much smaller than it is now.

There are still many who believe sushi is just raw fish. There are still many that believe bees automatically die when they sting you or that you should put butter on a burn.

Because of the fact people have these common held beliefs companies will pray on this.

The government needs to tighten up or at the very least trading standards.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to ask, why is diabetic food allowed to be sold if we're told not to eat the stuff
Because the manufacturers do not make any medical claims - it's simply a range of products aimed at diabetics with the intent of making money. If you wanted to ban every food that doesn't cure diabetes all our supermarkets would end up bankrupt.

It really is time that the 'Diabetic food' description had some regulatory control or was banned completely. it is open to every manufacturers own interpretation and as has already been said is often not just useless but misleading and bordering on harmful. perhaps we should start a campaign?
Why? No one ever claimed that this product has the benefits customers imagine they might have, so you might as well ban all labels entirely - e.g. There are plenty of people who falsely think the "organic" means the food has more nutrients, or that "reduced fat" lard is healthier than normal fat carrots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is sold so the manufacturors can charge top dollar for something we don't need.
I remember when I was a kid my Gran was diabetic and only "allowed" diabetic chocolate.
I was told it is actually higher in fat that ordinary chocolate and therefore worse for more voluptuous diabetics (such as myself). Not sure how much truth there is in that but having tasted diabetic choc once I choose to believe it !

Hello all and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

I've been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes which I'm dealing with in my own stride (tablets & diet), however, after reading several UK sites and endless leaflets I was given (which have good info), I have to ask, why is diabetic food allowed to be sold if we're told not to eat the stuff? Am I being ignorant/ silly, but I don't get why it's available if not recommended?

Anyone out there with an answer to this one?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Yes, it is just to make bucks from people who are afraid.That is where some companies look for profits. Over the time, people have not only become cautious, but also afraid (not all, but few). But we can manage our diet without any outside/so called diabetic foods. Follow some routine diabetic diet plan without paying extra bucks