Emotionally still struggling

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it does I just wish I had some friends where I live I do know people but not got any close mates here they are all still back at home. I have been homesick for a while now but my son has to come first. I am lucky to have a partner and son but I still miss home and when I got my diagnosis I was so scared I just wanted to be around people that cared for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi sorry I meant actually at the diabetes clinic is that a one on one thing or a group?

Yes it is (if your referring to a hospital diabetes clinic), although sometimes they may have a DSN sitting in with you (if your seeing a diabetes consultant )or they may be a trainee Dr sitting in attendance, but when the trainee medics do attend they always ask your permission first if they can come in to the consultation.

princessleia29

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi it's at my doctors so I'm not sure what to expect I hope at least to see a doctor

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi it's at my doctors so I'm not sure what to expect I hope at least to see a doctor

Right, well as the DUK article says that I posted earlier on, your Dr can refer you over for counselling if they think you would benefit from it, at counselling this would almost certainly be one-on-one basis..

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I'm not sure if I should still be posting in this section so forgive me it its wrong I got diagnosed in June of this year so I still consider myself newly diagnosed. The thing is I am not coping with the diagnosis at all. I have suffered from anxiety on and off over the years and it has come back ever since I found out even causing a panic attack which I have not had in years. I was worried about traveling long distance and I had worked myself up into a state in case "something happened due to diabetes". The thing is my diabetes is currently food/exercise controlled ( I am hoping it will stay this way) but I am so freaked out with it all. I imagine all the worst case scenarios happening to me and I can't cope. The only positive thing is I have lost 1.5 stone already and I am continuing to lose weight to help myself.

I did not like the way I was told I had Type 2 over the phone by a doctor who said she had no time to talk then and this was on a Friday so I worried all weekend. I was just given a testing kit and told to get on with it and I have had to do so much research myself into finding out what I should be eating. I have my first blood test since diagnosis next week and then diabetes clinic and I am dreading it. I did have my eye screening and my eyes are fine but I wasn't even told what to expect the appointments just arrive out of the blue and that is it. Why does no-one care about the emotional impact?

I can empathise with the way you feel about the diagnosis because it happened to me in exactly the same way. I called the surgery and was put through to a doctor who delivered the diagnosis in a very matter of fact way, 'I'm sorry to tell you that you have diabetes. Come along and see a DSN'. Although I knew it was inevitable because it's in the family, it was still a shock at the age of 42. The other thing that doesn't help is that everyone keeps saying,' Ooh you're very young to get it' which leaves me thinking I'm bound to develop health complications because I will have more time being diabetic if that makes sense. It's left me feeling very negative to say the least. That said, I have lost 1.5 stone since Feb and controlled my BS with diet. Although my hba1c was only 44, my doc recommended metformin but I refused. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should take it because of all the potential health benefits. I'm 8 months into my diagnosis and still scared and confused! I've never been offered the opportunity to talk about the emotional side - it all seems to hinge on the physical side in my appointments.

I too have experienced anxiety, depression and panic attacks. In November of 2006 I was unrecognisable! Since then I've been much better with only a few short, much milder episodes which I've managed ok. But this diagnosis has knocked me for six. For the last 2 months I've been getting very stressed with the tell tale 'disconnectedness and occasional dizziness. I'm constantly worrying about health stuff and checking BP, heart rate, for lumps etc, wondering why I feel so tired and generally focusing on 'body feelings'. I've got an appt with the doc on the 7th and will tell her all of this. Although I know I'm being a twit, I don't seem to be able to stop obsessing about becoming ill. it doesn't help that I work in Adult Social Care where I see ill and confused elderly people every day, many of whom suffer from diabetes related illnesses.

I really hope that your anxiety subsides. It's bad enough being diagnosed with diabetes, let alone all the anxiety issues that go with it. I suppose it's all about having the right attitude. The worrying thing is that we could have remained undiagnosed and caused all sorts of real damage. A diagnosis means the ability to make changes which will benefit your health. Good luck.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I can empathise with the way you feel about the diagnosis because it happened to me in exactly the same way. I called the surgery and was put through to a doctor who delivered the diagnosis in a very matter of fact way, 'I'm sorry to tell you that you have diabetes. Come along and see a DSN'. Although I knew it was inevitable because it's in the family, it was still a shock at the age of 42. The other thing that doesn't help is that everyone keeps saying,' Ooh you're very young to get it' which leaves me thinking I'm bound to develop health complications because I will have more time being diabetic if that makes sense. It's left me feeling very negative to say the least. That said, I have lost 1.5 stone since Feb and controlled my BS with diet. Although my hba1c was only 44, my doc recommended metformin but I refused. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should take it because of all the potential health benefits. I'm 8 months into my diagnosis and still scared and confused! I've never been offered the opportunity to talk about the emotional side - it all seems to hinge on the physical side in my appointments.

I too have experienced anxiety, depression and panic attacks. In November of 2006 I was unrecognisable! Since then I've been much better with only a few short, much milder episodes which I've managed ok. But this diagnosis has knocked me for six. For the last 2 months I've been getting very stressed with the tell tale 'disconnectedness and occasional dizziness. I'm constantly worrying about health stuff and checking BP, heart rate, for lumps etc, wondering why I feel so tired and generally focusing on 'body feelings'. I've got an appt with the doc on the 7th and will tell her all of this. Although I know I'm being a twit, I don't seem to be able to stop obsessing about becoming ill. it doesn't help that I work in Adult Social Care where I see ill and confused elderly people every day, many of whom suffer from diabetes related illnesses.

I really hope that your anxiety subsides. It's bad enough being diagnosed with diabetes, let alone all the anxiety issues that go with it. I suppose it's all about having the right attitude. The worrying thing is that we could have remained undiagnosed and caused all sorts of real damage. A diagnosis means the ability to make changes which will benefit your health. Good luck.
I thought 44 was pre-diabetic (48+ for diabetes). I'm pretty sure it is? Mine was 44 and I had to fight to go on Metformin...my GP told me he'd have to refer me to the hospital to get it.

CharlotteS

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
44 is in the pre-diabetic range but as my gtt results were fasting 7.8 and 2 hrs later 13.4 I was diagnosed with full diabetes. Thing is that I don't want to start on metformin cos it feels like the first step on a slippery slope. Can I ask why you want to be on metformin? Maybe there is something I don't understand about it.