Newly Diagnosed Type 1 question

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help? I've very recently been diagnosed type 1 and seem to be managing well, however I am unsure as to one thing! If I want to have a snack between meals or after a meal and I haven't taken account for it (I'm carb counting) can I have it and if so do I take insulin as a seperate dose or if I haven't already included it in my pre meal insulin dose should I not have it at all?!

Thanks in advance!

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi and welcome! I tend to go for low carb or no carb options as snacks otherwise I'd have to inject for snacks. I normally opt for nuts, celery sticks, cheese, boiled eggs...... I'm veggie but I'm sure non-veggies would go for meat, tinned fish etc as well. HTH & all the best.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. Personally I don't snack in between meals, also it would depend on the individual as well, regarding what food they ate and if Insulin was needed, as we can be so different.

Best wishes RRB

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can help? I've very recently been diagnosed type 1 and seem to be managing well, however I am unsure as to one thing! If I want to have a snack between meals or after a meal and I haven't taken account for it (I'm carb counting) can I have it and if so do I take insulin as a seperate dose or if I haven't already included it in my pre meal insulin dose should I not have it at all?!

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome! I tend to go for low carb or no carb options as snacks otherwise I'd have to inject for snacks. I normally opt for nuts, celery sticks, cheese, boiled eggs...... I'm veggie but I'm sure non-veggies would go for meat, tinned fish etc as well. HTH & all the best.
Thanks for your advice :)

Beckie2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum. Personally I don't snack in between meals, also it would depend on the individual as well, regarding what food they ate and if Insulin was needed, as we can be so different.

Best wishes

purplestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am recently diagnosed type 1 as well and I asked my diabetic nurse this exact question recently. She said to only snack on very low carb options and definitely not to inject any extra insulin between meals, as I was doing that when eating carbs snacks. Hope that helps :)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.

If you have your insulin ratios worked out then absolutely yes you can snack in between meals and bolus for it, unless your blood sugars are low.

I would say stick to 3 meals a day for a while until u have your ratios worked out and then introduce snacks when you feel ready, but a healthy diet without snacks is always the best option (unless u hypo). The DAFNE course taught me that.

I've been diagnosed 6 months and now happy with my ratios so if I have to give into a piece of cake I bolus accordingly for the carbs - which is exactly what ur pancreas would do

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am recently diagnosed type 1 as well and I asked my diabetic nurse this exact question recently. She said to only snack on very low carb options and definitely not to inject any extra insulin between meals, as I was doing that when eating carbs snacks. Hope that helps :)
That's probably because u're in early stages and working out how foods affect you, you won't always need to be so regimented :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As your newly diagnosed and probably still in your honeymoon period you might just get away with a small carby snack, the only way of knowing is by trying it and testing your bg afterwards, if you don't get away with it then you will have to inject or try eating a low-carb snack instead.

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As your newly diagnosed and probably still in your honeymoon period you might just get away with a small carby snack, the only way of knowing is by trying it and testing your bg afterwards, if you don't get away with it then you will have to inject or try eating a low-carb snack instead.
True! I can still get away with about 8 carbs before I need to inject

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be able to get away with anything up to about 10g carb snack but now honeymoon has ended can no longer get away with that:-(
Cheese and a few nuts are ok for me but as noblehead said its a case of trial and error and seeing what works for you personally.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App