Disease that old and fat people get !!!

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Trink,
Actually your comment about closing Bristol down brought the memories back. All the equipment was sent to Leyland and I remember one of the packing cases contained a football which was inscribed with the words; " you took our jobs you may as well have our effin ball " which was quite understandable considering the circumstances.

Regards Graham

P.s. Having reconvened the meeting I can tell you no further action will be taken :D

lionrampant

My response, as always, is the apolitical one - get a hold of him in private, and point out to him that it's not on to make those kind of jokes. If he gets snippy, make your point enthusiastically.

doctorqwerty

Latest incident.
There i sit at my desk, BG test revealed as just over 10, carried on working thinking i was just having a high day.
After an hour or so, i started to feel very warm and uncomfortable. I only test my BG once a day, but today i thought i would test it again as i was feeling slightly uneasy. Reading showed as over 12.
I was beginning to feel what i can only describe as slightly odd. Some would say thats normal for me.
I decided to go outside to cool down.
Spotted by Mr Tactful as i will call him, a collegue was asked, 'whats up with him? Its only a hot flush for cryin out loud'
Yes, this is the attitude, that im sure many people have.
Im just so lucky to work for someone that thinks so openly.!!!
(tongue planted firmly in cheek there)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That place of work has problems. Lack of respect for other people,
bullying. A management which is not doing its job.
Talk to your union

RebeccaSmith

That's not only offensive to type 2 diabetics, but type 1. I'm angry that he could be so disrespectful. You should let him know there are a group of people on here just waiting to give him injections for the rest of his life and to take away all the foods he so despirately loves.

milly mole

Dislikes
rude people,know alls
This man seriously needs management retraining!!He is a total Barsteward!!!! Personally (and this is not the right thing to do), I would front him and humiliate him in front of everyone,but that's just me,Mrs Tactless!!If you have witnesses please get them to document this incident and go to HR about it.This is bullying and harassment and possibly discrimination as well.Do you have a union in your office?

doctorqwerty

Not easy to fight this one.
It has made me think of trying to find a new job, but in the current climate, the jobs arent there

It makes me feel like im over reacting to having diabetes.
I watch every mouthfull.
I try to keep life as normal as i can. But watching the clock for food intake, and thinking about diabetes seems to have taken over my life since i was diagnosed in october.

Please tell me that having type two means i have to count sugar content, and carbs, and diet.
And that each day isnt just me being over cautious.

Has anyone else had this kind of treatment? If so, how did you feel?
Do you count, do you clock watch.?

All this is making me feel like im being stupid about it all.
Sorry.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I certainly watch carb content in my diet but I would not say that I clock watched!Having said that,apart from one day a week I do eat a main meal at roughly the same time every day but breakfast and evening meals can be different times.

doctorqwerty

I insisted today that i had lunch at one, as if i did what people wanted, i would have eating my lunch sandwich at around 2pm.

Is this being over cautious, if it is, please say yes.

I thought i was getting my around this condition, but im not so sure since this has happened.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Doc,
I think you have to be a bit more relaxed about it. Control the diabetes and don't let it control you. You know what you can and cannot eat so just plan ahead with regards shopping. Your meals don't have to be dead on the dot and so there is no need to clock watch. Don't let it consume your life as this is not a rehearsal. There are days when we all wish we didn't have the beast but we can manage it. Attitudes at work are not helping you so you need to develop a strategy for dealing with the misinformed at your place of work.
Think of all the good things in your life, hobbies, friends, family, memories, places you have visited, places you want to visit, the list is endless but a full life means that diabetes is not your only concern.
Look in the mirror and be happy that it is you that is smiling back at you and not the thoughtless imbeciles that you work with.
We are all here to help so please don't let other people's attitudes rule your life. It is akin to bullying and bullies are the ones who have problems.
Hope this helps,
Regards, Catherine.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
forkhandles said:
To quote a quaint old yorkshire saying, he needs lug oiling, translation on request :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Haven't heard that one for a long time!! :lol: :lol:

doctorqwerty

Two months later...........
and because i look a little iffy, my boss comes over and asks if i am ok.
I tell him that I wasnt feeling too great, aching a little, and that i had tested my sugar levels and found them to be around 13.
A few hours later in the day, and i felt ok, my sugars were down to a reasonably acceptable level.
But he had been asking how i was on a few occasions between this.
A slight prick of concience? Had he been reading up in order to facilitate the company Duty of Care to its enmployees? Who knows.
Either way, its an improvement on the ridicule i received a couple of months ago.
Progress?!!!!
Just wanted to post the update, so that anyone in a similar position may see that things wont always be as they are.
I dont make an issue of the diabetes, but if the company isnt aware, then any relevant first aiders wouldnt know what was wrong if i needed help. So i feel its always a good thing to do to let an employer know about your condition.
Any thoughts out there?

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Ask your boss how he feels next time, maybe the change of heart is becuase either he or someone he knows has caugh the "Disease that old and fat people get !!!"

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I am pleased for you that he has changed his attitude and is now showing some concern rather than ridicule.

sandymaynard

Oh how rude! Poor you! He needs to be taught! Hopefully he will get diabeties then you can tell him how to be able to cope with it!
How mis-informed him! Thing is that some people are so agrogant! honestly i feel for you!