Can anyone help a new member please.

Paul_1975

Hiya all,

Sorry for the probable story you have heard before but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Right fingers crossed! Im 32 by the way.

I started getting panic attacks in early 2001, at the time I wasnt aware of what was happening so I went to the doctors and he basically fobbed me off saying I should just lie down in a dark room when I felt it coming on...( so what if Im in the middle of a field, wheres the dark room then?..having been naive I went along with what he said, and basically locked myself in my room for 6 month drinking alcohol heavily as it was the only way to stop the attacks. I was in my id 20's so didnt think about the long term dangers.

In was in the summer of 2001 I developed pancreatitus do to the heavy drinking and withing hours of been rushed to hospital was on a ventilator and in a coma for between 2 and 3 weeks. The doctor told me before I went into the coma that I might not wake up, which still haunts me today.

All my major organs failed and and it was pretty much curtain but anyhow I survived and after some recovery time was told because of my drinking it had damaged my pancreas and was now diabetic.

I honestly had no idea what it was all about and was given no real guidance as to what it would entail. I know its no excuse but I was also partly to blame, having survived all the coma business I never wanted to see that hospital again and yes you guessed it the diabetes centre was next to the intensive care ward. I just couldn't face going there again.

To try and cut a long story short for you, I was pretty much footloose and fancy free for 6 years with it, hardly coming into contact with anyone about it. I must say though I never missed injections, I just wasnt engaging as I should have been.

I came to head last year when after several drinking days I had to go to hospital again and was basically given an ultimatum by now now diabetic nurse about what going to happen. It certainly shock me up and on reflection have thought although after my coma been told off again I might die could have been destructive, that certainly after a while I should have been told what it was about. thats no excuse for me not engaging but Id certainly pass my experience on about that.

So now Im at the stage where I have neuroapthy problems, I had an eye test last year which was fine (but I dont dismiss anything now), I have had 2 lapses with alcohol which I am going to get treatment for. I just like to stress although I have a drink problem I dont drink everyday, I can go weeks then something triggers (usually diabetes) and I can stray.

My nurse is really really good but she cant be there when Im let loose so to speak and really down so as a last resort I thought Id try here to maybe share things and support.

My blood sugar is so erratic and thats whats gets me down, I can have 2 really smashing days then thats little machine destroys my good work!

Im not sure what else to say apart from I apologise to you who read this who think Im stupid for curving's near death and still have not learnt when there will be some who didnt get a 2nd chance or maybe a 3r in my case.

I hope I can be a member hear for a long time and at last find people who can relate diabates, which after all is a disease.

Im not sure how it works and how much people can post so just hope I can the hang of it.

Thanks for reading.

Paul.

KimSuzanne

Hi Paul welcome to the forum,
I've had chronic pancreatitis for unknown reasons and had my pancreas removed 8 years ago. I was already diabetic and my pancreas decided it wasn't quite finished. I know it can be hard sometimes when your sugars don't want to play the right way but you have to keep positive and think about those good times, the BS levels can shoot up for many reasons you may have a virus or just feeling a bit run down.
There is always people in the forum willing to help with anything you want to know!
Stay positive

csf1s

I used to have panic attacks at various stages of my life. Now 59! If you still suffer or are afraid of suffering from these very, very unpleasant attacks I believe I have the solution. it worked foir me after years of intermittent suffering. If you need this info please ask.

Paul_1975

KimSuzanne, Sarah, Cf,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, Having read some of the posts it seems you are all so calm, I guess that comes with dealing with it as you point out one step at a time.

In a way I blame my freinds and families ignorance on myself as if you didnt know I would just slip off, a 1 second injection and its all over, I never took time to tell people so now I cant behave like I used to they are wondering whats wrong!

Really really appreciate being on here and I dont want it to sound like a mills + boons story but Im going to wake up tommorow, log on and here and read some of the food ideas...that will be a great start and hits the shops for ingredients!

Look forward to sharing thoughts in the future.

Paul.