You & your GP

I thought I was hard done by but manage to get 250 strips at a time! My old doc told me I was costing the NHS too much money on all my test strips but I asked him for a formal complaint form and he soon changed his tune!!!

dave101

If we as users were to find that we had too many test strips, we could tell the GP that we only needed so many the next time, and they could adjust accordingly.
This is where the problem lies in that most GPs are not flexible with their prescriptions.

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
<b></b><i></i><font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Hi All, I'm having to buy my own strips at the moment, only just gone onto Metformin 500mg x2, not been told about testing by the Doctor or nurse, so have took it on my own to test.
Previous to this was on low fat low carb diet, have lost just over two stones and still having a few problems.
I must admit though that my Doctors are usually very good, as I have around twelve different meds each month anyway and no problems there, I have Hypothyroidism, Pure Autonomic failure, IBS, and skin complaints, so just a physical wreck basically.
I am learning such a lot off this forum and would be clueless without it, so a big thanks to you all, and "MERRY CHRISTMAS"

God bless and regards from Roger.

dave101

I think it must be the ways in which GPs work, Sarah. My one is so regimented in their ways it's very difficult for me to get anything other than what THEIR computer says.
Countless times I've gone up there and asked for more of something only to be told, "it's not due".

erroneous

A month after being diagnosed i went to my surgery to get test strips. I was of course using a lot of them to try to understand what was going on with me. And it was last christmas ([:p]chocolaaaaate[:p]) so i used something like 2oo test strips in maybe 1 month and a half or two months.
When i asked for a prescription the woman at the reception asked me:
"What are you doing with it? We're supposed to give you one box per month!" (=5o strips).
I thought i was gonna cry. :?

Since the end of my honeymoon it's been a bit hard to control my BS. So i start to use a lot of strips again.
Let's see what they tell me next time! :x:x:x

erroneous

Yeah definately.
For the moment, they don't bother me.
They said nothing more since last year. Maybe it was just this stupid woman at the reception that didn't know nothing.
If it happens again i'll be more prepared to answer as well. I just couldn't believe my ears when she told me that.

Devil surgery from hell:twisted:

emilie.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi All,

Just to confirm a number of points that have been made here.
Current NICE guidelines on self-monitoring of BS levels say:

- Self-monitoring should not be considered as a stand-alone intervention.
- Self-monitoring should be taught if the need/purpose is clear and agreed with the patient.
- Self-monitoring can be used in conjunction with appropriate therapy as part of integrated selfcare.

However, a new set of NICE guidelines were drafted in September that will come into force in 2008, replacing the present guidelines. These say:

<b>1.4 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose</b>
1.4.1.1 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be offered to newly diagnosed people with type 2 diabetes as an integral part of self-management education. The purpose of SMPG should be discussed and agreed.
1.4.1.2 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available to:
• those on insulin treatment
• those on oral glucose-lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
• assess changes in glucose control due to medications and lifestyle changes
• monitor changes during intercurrent illness
• ensure safety during activities including driving.
1.4.1.3 Assess at least annually in a structured format self-monitoring skills, the quality and frequency of testing, the use made of the results obtained, impact on quality of life, and the equipment used.
1.4.1.4 Discuss the use of urine glucose monitoring where plasma monitoring has been found unacceptable to the individual.

To all Type 1s, sorry but these are the guidelines for T2 - I don't have a copy of the new guidelines for T1, but I can't see them being radically different.

dave102

Thanks Dennis.

I looked at the NICE guidelines but couldn't find the approriate part about test strips. I may've looked at the wrong thing as there were loads of pages in the pdf.

kind regards
Dave

clayton1180

i am lucky as my pharmacy pick up from the gp and deliver my drugs to my door.. i have a monthly delivery drugs in a tray and stuff and if i need anything else i call them and they sort it out...

dont forget they also make alot of money out of this so get them to do as much work as possible for you...WHY NOT!! ;)

lee

lee

sofaraway

Got my prescription today, only 100 strips, grrr, even though on the repeat side it says 200. In the new year I'm going to take this up with my GP, practice manager etc.

Abzlass

I'm really lucky with both my GP and pharmacy. I've only been diagnosed T1 since March but already when I go to pick up my prescription they don't even ask for my name as they always remember me and just pass it over. I've never had a problem with any of my prescriptions, my Gp is very understanding and bends over backwards to help me in any way. I'm in Aberdeen Scotland but is sounds like it's not the Scots that are being tight for once lol:D

sugar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SarahQ</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sofaraway</i>
<br />Got my prescription today, only 100 strips, grrr, even though on the repeat side it says 200. In the new year I'm going to take this up with my GP, practice manager etc.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If the repeat says 200 take the prescription back to the pharmacist and say excuse me you have made a mistake with my prescription.
(It's not unheard of) Stand your ground until you get what is prescribed.

Absolutely! Do it soon too. I have had this a few times, and teh pharmacy have to trawl through a big box of prescriptions, fish out the relevant one and then check against their records. This happens one time in five for me...so I now always check exactly what the prescription says, as sometimes, it can be the GP that changed teh prescription, not the pharmacy making a mistake!

sofaraway

The actual prescription green side said 100, so the pharmacist could only dispense 100. but on my repeat white side it says 200. so whoever prints out the prescriptions at my doctors surgery changes it. I'm ringing the diabetes nurse at the surgery to see what she can do,(she is normally useless so who knows).

dave102

I spoke to the diabetic nurse at the hospital last week about this problem of not enough test strips, and she confirmed that a lot of their patients were saying the same thing.
She is going to get the consultant to write a letter to my GP on the matter.

I'll let you know what happens in the new year.

kind regards
Dave

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dodger</i>
<br /><b></b><i></i><font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Hi All, I'm having to buy my own strips at the moment, only just gone onto Metformin 500mg x2, not been told about testing by the Doctor or nurse, so have took it on my own to test.
Previous to this was on low fat low carb diet, have lost just over two stones and still having a few problems.
I must admit though that my Doctors are usually very good, as I have around twelve different meds each month anyway and no problems there, I have Hypothyroidism, Pure Autonomic failure, IBS, and skin complaints, so just a physical wreck basically.
I am learning such a lot off this forum and would be clueless without it, so a big thanks to you all, and "MERRY CHRISTMAS"

<b></b><i></i><font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Hi been to GP today and he has now put my strips on repeat prescription, 50 at a time so that's a great relief as I am on benefits.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Isn't it odd that they won't issue a monitor,which is relatively cheap,but will prescribe the strips ,which are the expensive bit!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sue,

I agree, it makes no sense at all in terms of cost effectiveness. However, I have heard that if you call the manufacturers and ask them to send you a monitor free of charge they will often do so, because they make their profits from the expensive test strips not from sales of monitors. So its in their interests to get you onto one of their monitors if they can.