New codefree

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got my new codecree monitor as I suspect I won't be allowed the number of test strips I will want for free on my accu-check. So I did the accu check with a reading of 5.9', quite pleased about but with same drop of blood code free was 6.9 which is obviously rather higher and not so good for a post meal test.

Does the codefree tend to test higher, which is more reliable?!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i have both and tend to stick to the codefree

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just got my new codecree monitor as I suspect I won't be allowed the number of test strips I will want for free on my accu-check. So I did the accu check with a reading of 5.9', quite pleased about but with same drop of blood code free was 6.9 which is obviously rather higher and not so good for a post meal test.

Does the codefree tend to test higher, which is more reliable?!

The Accu Chek Mobile reads lower on average than the Codefree. Best to stick to the Codefree and keep the Accu Chek as a spare for emergencies. If you keep cross checking them your records will get confused and you won't be able to spot your trends. I have both these meters, and use the Codefree. Best to see slightly higher readings than ones that may be too low.

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Annoying as I was hoping to have one at work and one at home/out and about. Might just have to buy a 2nd code free!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone found a link somewhere that said they are approved by the NHS, but I haven't heard of anyone getting them.

I discussed that with HomeHealth, on one of my various calls with them.

Apparently, take up is lower than you might expect, and this is believed to be because, unlike other manufacturers, Homehealth (OK, Homehealth are distributors, not manufacturers) do not provide free meters to HCPs to give to their patients, and it's a bit of a stand-off.

Seems bonkers to me when we consider how quickly the costs of the meter would be recouped, but hey ho.

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you give the PIP number to your doctor they should be able to prescribe it for you

They may not give the meter on prescription - but you already have one so just remind them you only need lancets and test strips

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know why so many type 2 diabetics worry about repeatability of tests or comparisons between meters as for each test;

The ISO standard for the accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters is:-
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 4.2 mmol/L
Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 4.2 mmol/L or more.

So your meters may be within spec. And accounts for the changes that you worry about!

My new doctor follows the NICE guidelines! So I only get one test strip per week! So I purchased the Codefree as the test strips are a much lower cost compared to other meters and test once a day at night, to target getting my blood sugar within range before I go to bed.

I have found the Code Free very consistent in results compared to the one touch ultra that I have been using (still do one day a week)
The only issue with my first code free was the finger pricier whose spring catch stopped working consistently after 2 months.
The meter itself is very good and works on a smaller blood sample compared to my other meter. So very pleased with the code free

Reactions: 2 people