Just Not Motivated

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was 6 months old. I've always liked doing everything by myself and when I got my pump when I was 9 I really started doing everything myself. I'm 19 now and I'm finding that through my teenage years I got into some really bad habits that I need to change in order to lead a healthy life without complications. My A1C is higher than I know is healthy but I'm just not motivated to test. I've changed doctors a few times and that's helped a bit. I'm finding I'm just not motivated to take care of myself, even though I have it easier than a lot of people. Any ideas on how to conquer this?

Ands

Hi! I know where you are coming from. Although I was diagnosed much later at the age of 20 I have been struggling a lot over the last few years.

However, two months ago I happened to have a Consultant appointment the week after my Nan had a bad stroke and I nearly cancelled it as I was still upset and knew I hadn't been taking any medication for months so would be told off! However, as I was in visiting my Nan I went and as a result of having really bad test results was told that the bottom line was that I would end up having either a stroke of heart attack within 20 years.

Now I am only 33 and have two young children and the thought of being left in the same state as my Nan scared me stiff! It really was a wake up call, I have the rest of my life ahead of me and want to be able to enjoy it and watch my boys grow up.

You are still young and have a lot to look forward to. It is worth the time looking after yourself now so that you do have a good future. I know it isn't easy but I feel so much more positive now and it is worth it in the long run.

Good luck.

Ands

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys, there are some seriously motivated people around here. That might be a good place to get your inspiration from? Take a look at the Success Stories thread and you might be inspired.
I know the bad habits are tough to break, but the benefits are seriously worth it.

All the best,

fergus

KimSuzanne

Its hard everyday to keep doing what we do and there are times that even the most dedicated diabetic just can't be bothered. You just have to get into a routine and eventually your body picks up the routine.
I got into a lot of bad habits through the teenage rebellious stage and I still have the off days we all do but just think of how much better you'll feel when its all under control! There are so many people on this forum who have been through exactly the same - you will get through the other side!

susan1968

Hello, I understand the feeling perfectly, in fact I think that most diabetics sometime or another get the same feeling. You feel frustrated, but it´s worth while thinking that this disease can really damage important organs and this you don´t realize until it´s too late. There are diseases that are much worse. Okay, you have to stick to a diet (most people do this although they aren´t diabetic), you have to be careful with hypos...etc... but you can lead a good life. Take it as a challenge.

Aoife

You sound like me a few years ago, its a frame of mind that plenty of us can identify with. Its one of the reasons I think there needs to be more support and education for young adults trying to cope with diabetes- there simply is not enough accessible support or information out there. When I have a more relaxed headspace (ie, better control myself, hopefully less stress about it, and a calmer outlook) I am going to get involved in my local Diabetes Uk branch and see if I can help organize some extra supports, in particular for those from about 15 to 25.

It is bloody frightening and also pretty **** tiresome to constantly keep trying to manage diabetes at times. When I came out of my irresponsible phase, and began the process of reclaiming control, I had to use an "action before motivation" technique, or I wouldn't have done anything. I felt overwhelmed and ****** off, but decided I'd start trying anyway, despite not feeling like it, so that at least I know I'm trying...actually I still do this lol. I have a lot of anxiety wrapped round my diabetes, so sometimes I almost freeze, and its so tempting to ignore it. But no good comes from that. So I keep trying- I haven't got it right yet, but I'm hoping I will soon!

So, about motivating yourself- I would say if you take a small step straightaway, such as recording your blood sugars (if you don't already), and to re-familiarize yourself, perhaps start reading good, clear, informative material on how the body, insulin and food interact with each other (I know you probably know all the stuff in theory, but its surprising how much you can learn if you find a scientific breakdown which is written clearly!) Another step would be to book in with your clinic or diabetes nurse soon, for a chat about where you would like to make changes. As you become more actively involved in managing your diabetes it becomes easier to motivate yourself to do the next thing, and the next thing :)

I hope this all goes well for you!