Photography tips

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
I noticed a thread on photography and thought I'd start a new one for some tips from those who said they are into it. I have a fairly decent Bridge Camera but can't get used to using white balance and focus settings etc. Any tips for taking better photos? I'd like to get a DSLR but at the moment I'm stuck with the bridge cam. I seem to struggle with balancing the right light in my photos.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Read the manual. It's seriously the best advice I can give you relating to getting to know your camera. Read it cover to cover and carry it with your kit at all times. It's the best way to get to know and get the most out of technically what the camera can do.

Also get hold of something like Tom Ang's "Digital Photography Masterclass" which is a great book for practical, hands on tips to get you going.

There are a world of tips out there, so it's probably best to describe what kind of photos that you are trying to take.

C

chris lowe

What can I say? Not a problem with a film camera :hilarious: (can't help it I'm a dyed in the wool film fan)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@chris lowe, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, other than being slightly facetious....

Whether you shoot film or digital, most techniques and tips about getting a better picture work for both. And many film techniques have digital equivalents. I shot film for 20 years before moving to digital. I occasionally still shoot film, but let's be honest. Film is much harder work and much less forgiving, especially when it comes to sports.

C

chris lowe

@chris lowe, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, other than being slightly facetious....

Whether you shoot film or digital, most techniques and tips about getting a better picture work for both. And many film techniques have digital equivalents. I shot film for 20 years before moving to digital. I occasionally still shoot film, but let's be honest. Film is much harder work and much less forgiving, especially when it comes to sports.
No, just my sense of humour. I;m the last one in camera club clinging on by my fingertips to my film. The day Boots stop doing processing is the day I'll hang up my lenses :)

Aguila

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wind & rain
Regarding the original post, I always leave white balance set to 'auto' and have the focus 'centre-weighted'. I don't shoot much other than portraits & landscapes so these settings work for me most of the time.

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also recommend you leave White Balance for most situations. Does your camera shoot RAW? If it allows you to d this then you can always change the White Balance later. Not sure if bridge cameras let you do that though.

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think some do but mine doesn't. I remember reading this when I bought it.

Tm6t7

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I am a keen tog...if your 'Bridge' camera has the PASM settings....pop it onto P...a little trick the Paparrazi use when they need to get THE shot. Failing that, Auto WB is a good option, I shoot in RAW (kind of like a digital negative) and then I can adjust the white balance in Photoshop. At the end of the day it's all about personal taste, if it pleases your eyes then the job is done ;)

I was lucky to work with a professional model last weekend and I guess some may not like my post production...(I do lol)
Georgie_0567s.jpg

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
I noticed a thread on photography and thought I'd start a new one for some tips from those who said they are into it. I have a fairly decent Bridge Camera but can't get used to using white balance and focus settings etc. Any tips for taking better photos? I'd like to get a DSLR but at the moment I'm stuck with the bridge cam. I seem to struggle with balancing the right light in my photos.

Hi, maybe be more specific, what type of light are you finding a problem, what do you want from your photo. Have you thought of a course they are sometimes free, try David Paterson digital photo secrets online he emails tips for improving free, or you can sign up for stuff, it may help Jill

Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I am a keen tog...if your 'Bridge' camera has the PASM settings....pop it onto P...a little trick the Paparrazi use when they need to get THE shot. Failing that, Auto WB is a good option, I shoot in RAW (kind of like a digital negative) and then I can adjust the white balance in Photoshop. At the end of the day it's all about personal taste, if it pleases your eyes then the job is done ;)

I was lucky to work with a professional model last weekend and I guess some may not like my post production...(I do lol)
View attachment 12876

Lovely shot and quite like your post processing @Tm6t7

Reactions: 2 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I purchased an ExpoDisc from Amazon last year and it has been a huge help with white balance. I use it religiously when I shoot indoors at concert/performance venues.

Reactions: 4 people

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
I purchased an ExpoDisc from Amazon last year and it has been a huge help with white balance. I use it religiously when I shoot indoors at concert/performance venues.
Interesting, i've seen them online but dismissed them as the looked goofy, can you use them over an ND filter?

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I guess they are a little goofy looking. :p I would recommend buying the largest ExpoDisc size, that way you can use it with all of your lenses. I just hold it in front of my lens, if the Expodisc is bigger than my lens. If it is the same size, you can screw it on.
And yes, it works over your ND filter. I haven't had an issue.