Newcastle Diet results so far

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Arab Horse I think I've seen that videoclip - Dr. Jason Fung, wasn't it? A striking image, hard to forget.
Yes, couldn't remember the name but it made good sense and also explains why people like me who are normal weight and fairly active with no real history of diabetes in the family are diabetic. The bit about putting people on insulin (which compounds the problem long term) also made good sense.

My friend's sister is going on a new drug when it arrives as she has recently had a lot of problems with her BG (but she isn't too good at sticking to correct eating) and if after a few months on that things aren't any better they are going to put her on insulin. My friend has told her about me and the ND so she is keen to see how I get on. She certainly sounds a candidate for the diet as she is only in her 40s and doesn't want to go that road at her age.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp I did reverse disbetes but once I'd finished there was no guidance about wat I should do so instead of being sensible I just went back to old ways I think the object lesson is you can never go back to old ways it's a complete forever change of lifestyle that's why I'm struggling to start again
Thank you.
A timely reminder for those finishing their stint of ND. You must have a follow on plan, for life.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
12th day,ND, and there has been a small sign that things are improving for me BGL-wise, in that before lunch today, it was 4.6! Unfortunately could not do post prandials, but looking forward to tomorrow.
This site is so supportive, and you folks are so knowledgeable. I have found much assistance here. Thanks.
Brilliant and better than I have been able to achieve!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I haven't done the ND, I have corresponded with Professor Taylor around my own activities and outcomes. A couple of months ago, i corresponded with him about long term, post diet activity and diet, actually mainl asking if he had experienced candidates who continued losing weight beyond when they wanted to. He hadn't really, so that'll just be me being a weirdo!

However, he did state the following:

".....The low carbohydrate approach tends to be the most popular and successful in long term weight maintenance. But whatever suits the individual is acceptable....."

The current documentation does mention continuing on a reduced diet, which I interpreted as reduced to provide the correct levels of energy, based on new body weight/mass/musculature, rather than calorie deficient.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I haven't done the ND, I have corresponded with Professor Taylor around my own activities and outcomes. A couple of months ago, i corresponded with him about long term, post diet activity and diet, actually mainl asking if he had experienced candidates who continued losing weight beyond when they wanted to. He hadn't really, so that'll just be me being a weirdo!

".....The low carbohydrate approach tends to be the most popular and successful in long term weight maintenance. But whatever suits the individual is acceptable....."

The current documentation does mention continuing on a reduced diet, which I interpreted as reduced to provide the correct levels of energy, based on new body weight/mass/musculature, rather than calorie deficient.

I know when I am done with the diet I should be able to manage on a very modest food intake because it's really not that challenging at the moment on 800 calories a day. I have also memorised most of the staple foods in terms of calories and carbs so the effort in eating and managing what I eat sensibly should be a lot less.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it is the mindset that is important, @geordie90 . For me, once I had achieved and maintained good BG, the urgency to lose the rest of the weight was gone. Then having 2 major operations in 15 months, immobility and dependency on others to prepare my food made me complacent. Then followed a challenge on forum to eat high carb to see what happened to BG. BG stayed fine, but I became addicted to the high carb food. I tried LCHF, but that gave me digestive problems. I need the discipline of VLCD or Newcastle diet again to kick start my attitude and shed some weight fast, but long term it has to be low carb.

I sense that right now @geordie90, you are feeling somewhat low? Instead of beating yourself up about what you deem to be a failure can you alter your way of thinking? Such as, you have before successfully sorted you BG. You have learned what has not worked for you post ND, so this time you will again sort BG but have a plan in place for permanent way of eating in future. Also, the fact that you are taking control has to be positive!

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That is my understanding as well. If the diabetes reverses itself, you still need to count calories and develop good habits (not smoking, exercise, muscle building) but you don't have to be crazy about carb counting, just calories. Of course, if the carbs are causing you to gain weight, and you already know your body has a preference for stashing away visceral fat around your liver and pancreas . . .

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I watched a video a few weeks ago where the presenter likened the "fatty liver" to a jar that you keep putting more liquid in and over time it fills up and then the liquid spills out and this is when the high blood glucose starts. The liquid is the glucose stored in the liver and the way to keep it from spilling over is fasting; i.e. less calories in than out. He recommended fasting and quoted religions where fasting was done annually e.g. Lent, Ramadan. This removes the " liquid from the jar" and until it is full again no more liquid over spill. We were meant to have times of "feast and famine" as in summer and winter where we stored fat and then used it up before starting the cycle again; nowadays we are in permanent feast mode! Makes sense so a good diet and days of low calories sounds the way to go after the ND; the 5:2 diet springs to mind as something that would work.
That's looking like my post-Newcastle diet; either something like the 5:2 diet or intermittent fasting where you cram your daily calories into a 5-8 hour window and try to spend at least 16 hours in a fasted state per day. Basically skipping breakfast, but people say it does impressive things to their blood sugar levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp if everyone exercised and watched their diet then only the real genetic diabetics would be left....I am sure you cannot argue that a very large portion of the type2 diabetics are diabetic from too much food and too little exercise....myself included....

Now as far as lazy, feeble, greedy and fat is concerned....I dont think we can label people if our society expects us to eat carbs drink coke, sit in a chair behind a desk and drive cars (to keep the economy going)....:)
Like @Pipp I do not want to derail this thread.

But please do NOT assume that your opinion is held by everyone, or that by stating it here, you will get universal agreement.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is my understanding as well. If the diabetes reverses itself, you still need to count calories and develop good habits (not smoking, exercise, muscle building) but you don't have to be crazy about carb counting, just calories. Of course, if the carbs are causing you to gain weight, and you already know your body has a preference for stashing away visceral fat around your liver and pancreas . . .

You are making an interpretation of an email you haven't read.

I asked how subjects with longer term normo-glycemia had maintained their weight; to which Prof Taylor responded confirming reduced carb was the most common method.

I further asked about his hypothesis on my own scenario, based on factually accurate information provided by me. He confirmed he would expect I remain noemi-glycemic, provided I did not re-cross my personal fat threshold.

He makes no statements of good habits, muscle building or smoking. You are overlaying that for yourself.

I'm just clarifying.

Glitterbritches

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are making an interpretation of an email you haven't read.

I asked how subjects with longer term normo-glycemia had maintained their weight; to which Prof Taylor responded confirming reduced carb was the most common method.

I further asked about his hypothesis on my own scenario, based on factually accurate information provided by me. He confirmed he would expect I remain noemi-glycemic, provided I did not re-cross my personal fat threshold.

He makes no statements of good habits, muscle building or smoking. You are overlaying that for yourself.

I'm just clarifying.
Yes, I am not claiming to speak for Dr. Taylor. But it stands to reason that if weight loss below a personal fat threshold reverses diabetes, crossing above that threshold in the other direction by enough would "reverse the reversal." Even if your body is smoothly metabolizing carbs, there is no guarantee it will continue to do so if you gain substantial weight - hence, the continuing need to count calories (on top of the myriad other reasons why calorie reduction will lead to a longer, healthier life).

Good habits like muscle building and not smoking increase insulin sensitivity in NON-DIABETIC individuals - seems foolish not to follow that advice if you were actually diagnosed with a disease that prominently features insulin resistence. And if you'll note, in the Newcastle Study itself the one thing that they DIDN'T see was an increase in peripheral insulin sensitivity - insulin secretion increased, glucose dumping/hepatic insulin sensitivity both improved, but glucose clearance due strictly to cellular insulin resistance did not noticeably improve. That's where healthy habits can further improve the likelihood of a "cure" versus "just" a reversal.

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Wow a lot of food for thought there guys if you pardon the expression

Reactions: 4 people

Flashtash2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, I am happy to read about your bloods not changing after the few days of eating "normally".

Could you be more specific about your +1 hour, +2hours and +3hours? BG readings?

I am interested in seeing the changes that happened between before going on the diet and after completing "reversal". If you have any data that you could share with me that would be great.
In the process of sorting data at the moment

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I am not claiming to speak for Dr. Taylor. But it stands to reason that if weight loss below a personal fat threshold reverses diabetes, crossing above that threshold in the other direction by enough would "reverse the reversal." Even if your body is smoothly metabolizing carbs, there is no guarantee it will continue to do so if you gain substantial weight - hence, the continuing need to count calories (on top of the myriad other reasons why calorie reduction will lead to a longer, healthier life).

Good habits like muscle building and not smoking increase insulin sensitivity in NON-DIABETIC individuals - seems foolish not to follow that advice if you were actually diagnosed with a disease that prominently features insulin resistence. And if you'll note, in the Newcastle Study itself the one thing that they DIDN'T see was an increase in peripheral insulin sensitivity - insulin secretion increased, glucose dumping/hepatic insulin sensitivity both improved, but glucose clearance due strictly to cellular insulin resistance did not noticeably improve. That's where healthy habits can further improve the likelihood of a "cure" versus "just" a reversal.

Agreed, in addition need to factor in the ageing process. As we get older, particularly if we have previously been T2 there is a greater chance that the insulin mechanism will start to falter again. Therefore we really have to remain vigilant and not allow the weight to creep back on.

One way or another, I will achieve a healthier weight than I have now. After three and a half years of reversal I do not want to see a return of high BG and the misery that goes with it.

Reactions: 8 people

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Wrong.
All my life I've been very active.
At just under six foot three fourteen stone for over twenty years made me quite slim.
I have never had a sweet tooth.
Never been into snacking crisps cakes chocolate sweets fizzy drinks.
A wife who makes home made everything so not a junk food person either.
As far as I know there has never been a diabetic or obese person in my family line.
I had to start taking a drug called Gabapentin ... main side effect weight gain.
At the same time I went from being very active to very inactive because of spinal problems.
Went from fourteen stone to eighteen stone in a matter of weeks and within a about three years was diagnsed diabetic.
There are many slim diabetics.
Your attitude is quite dreadful and even ignorant and presumably fed by red top propaganda sheets.
Jackthelad if u read the post you will have noticed I said if everyone led a healthier life then only the genetically predisposed t2's will be left. You can call it propaganda....false info....tabloid facts but it is well known that t2 is considered a lifestyle disease. Many of us here manage to control our illness by going back to the healthy lifestyle including carb counting, lchf, Newcastle diet....all I'm saying is that we should not forget the exercise component and if we had all been vigilant to start with the majority of us would not be on this forum.
At the end of the day however we cannot be blamed for getting t2 as many of us were unaware that eating low fat foods can be detrimental due to an increase in sugar in those "healthy" options.
Society is determining our lifestyle and if that lifestyle is making us sick r we to blame?