low carb and kids

Doczoc

Hmmm good post, I've been thinking about this one myself! As a natural consequence of my going low carb the whole household is eating less carbs but I couldn't describe the rest of the family as being 'low carb' by any stretch of the imagination! I think it's just made us more aware of carbs really, the forgotten food! Hopefully with the slight carb reduction they won't end up the same way I did. My youngest always has been a sugar monster! We just try to make sure that they have plenty of veg, good quality protein and a sensible amount of carbs! Doesn't always work out like that though since they love pizza and pasta!

I guess I'm the low carb 'guinea pig' in our household. If after a year I'm still feeling great then I will make more effort to reduce carbs overall in the household (but only overly processed 'white' carbs). So far the kids have enjoyed the low carb alternatives such as cauli and celeriac, and don't seem to miss the mountains of potatoes I used to cook with Sunday roast, so it's not too far from what they eat now! They will both have school meals from September so I guess they can get enough **** there!

sixfoot

Cant say myself from experience but there is a website called Mathews Friends that uses Carb Restriction as part of his treatment. The have set up a contact system for such Q`s

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Personally I am always wary of advising for children .Given their growing potential I would always advise consulting an expert for this.

Katharine

There are several kids on the Bernie site who are managing their diabetes and growth excellently with a very low carb diet (30-42g a day). (Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Forum).

You don't count carbs to cover exercise or hypos.

A major problem for school aged kids is that school meals are often high carb. You can always provide breakfast, packed lunch and dinners but at some point they will need to learn how to handle carby foods in variable quantities.

Spiral

Thanks for the responses.

Doczoc, I thing my position is very similar to yours. From the start I have been clear I wanted to be able to eat the same food as my rapidly growing 12-year-old but I think he has eaten considerably fewer carbs over the last few months, but I don't think he is deprived of any nutrition. He is very cosmopolitan in his diet and eats lots of fruit and veg and likes to try new things, but he does like his carbohydrate :?

His weight is on the high side of normal. At his birthday do a few weeks ago he was one of the 2 tallest in the group and there are times it seems like he has hollow legs :shock: But he gets loads of carbs at school as he has school lunches (his preference, I wanted to make him a packed lunch).

it is very reassuring to hear that there are kids growing well on a low carb diet, Katharine.

We talked about this at the weekend, he wanted to know if he had inherited the diabetic genes. He has been very supportive of the low carb thing and thinks it is useful to learn about htis now just in case he has inherited the genes. We discussed sorting out the freezer so that he can have a drawer where he can eat almost anything in it and a drawer for me so that the stuff I need to keep seperate doesn't vasnish. His drawer contains a loaf of bread, crumpets and ice lollys (and all the picnic ice packs) mine has frozen berries and hummus - he thinks I have the best deal :D

It was an interesting exercise, looking at the carbohydrate/protien ratios of some things I had assumed were quite healthy :shock: I'm not a huge fan of quorn, but that was about the highest protien to carb ratio. I hadn't realised just how much filler there is in a beanburger :?