Does a Diagnosis Ever Get Removed?

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in January 2011 when I had a very unhealthy lifestyle and horrible results to tests in the doctor/clinic.

Hba1c results were 92 mmol/mol (10.6%) back then. By March 2011 I had it down to 62 (7.8%) and 31 (5%) by May 2011. Since then the highest it has been is 39 and the average is around 35 mmol/mol. I manage to keep it around the 35 without watching what I eat and with no testing.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Provided that your initial confirmation of diabetes was the result of your crossing the conventional thresholds (hbA1c test and or 2 independent fasting blood tests) and not cause by some hormone imbalance due to some body organ (Thyroid comes to mind) malfunction, then your will be classified as being diabetic throughout your life even despite being able to repeatedly show that you are unlikely to have raised blood glucose levels in the future.
It's a simple case of once branded as diabetic, you have it there throughout your lifetime, and even though subsequent test may not indicate diabetes, you will unfortunately have the predisposition to develop it in the future. Many diabetics are able to control their HbA1c to below diabetic threshold levels (Non diabetic or Pre diabetic thresholds) but if left uncontrolled they would most likely return to being classified as being a FULL diabetic.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Thanks Lazybones. I just feel like I am wasting time, money and resources with regular checkups and clinic appointments that would be better spent on someone else.

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Originally I was diagnosed as borderline diabetic and put on the diabetic register. After a couple of years and losing some weight my levels had come down to the non diabetic level, my doctor then asked me if I wanted to stay registed as diabetic. I said yes as I was advised that if I didn't keep watching my weight that the condition could return.

While the weight stayed off, I was following the normal balanced plate eating advise and not self testing and so the BS levels slowly started to rise again.

I therefore know that it is only by constant watching that I can keep it under control. I also know myself well enough that without nurses or doctors appointments to keep me on the straight and narrow, I would likely slowly revert to my old eating habits. I am therefore quite happy to stay registered and look at it as a way of saving the NHS money as hopefully I will never suffer major complications.

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks Lazybones. I just feel like I am wasting time, money and resources with regular checkups and clinic appointments that would be better spent on someone else.
Don't beat yourself up. By having great control you are saving the NHS time, money and resources. Keep up the good work.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's your body .. If you tell your Drs that you do not want to attend checkups and clinic appointments they can stop sending you to them ... I think they need this in writing, as if you do get compilations that could have been avoided through the checkups the Dr is not to blame. You will also have a non compliant label on your medical notes ..
Hope this helps

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes back in January 2011 when I had a very unhealthy lifestyle and horrible results to tests in the doctor/clinic.

Hba1c results were 92 mmol/mol (10.6%) back then. By March 2011 I had it down to 62 (7.8%) and 31 (5%) by May 2011. Since then the highest it has been is 39 and the average is around 35 mmol/mol. I manage to keep it around the 35 without watching what I eat and with no testing.

I believe this is a very important thread. Good work OP. However, I would like know:
1. Your BMI, body weight and waist measurements during Jan 2011, and now - such info is very useful
2. What actually you did during last 4 years, after declared as T2D, to get rid of it? - again that will be useful.

If you do not mind; I would like to see details of your efforts to get rid of T2D

I was following the normal balanced plate eating advise
Hi Ruth, Can you elaborate on this normal balanced plate eating advise?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dietitians working for the NHS recommend eating balanced meals consisting of carbohydrates, protein and vegetables. This advice is shown as a plate divided into the proportions that you should be eating. This plate pays no heed to diabetics and other people with eating problems. If a diabetic follows the advice given their blood sugar levels will usually be high.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I just feel like I am wasting time, money and resources with regular checkups and clinic appointments that would be better spent on someone else.
I feel exactly the same; but I know that if I stop doing LCHF or taking Q10 my BG will go up. The consultant told me I'll only be classified non-diabetic if I can pass a glucose tolerance test after three days back on high carb. I know that I wouldn't pass, so despite having non-diabetic readings I stay on the register. And I think the HCPs at my diabetic reviews rather enjoy seeing someone who passes all the tests (except cholesterol, but that's another argument).

Kate

Hairycamel

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm pretty much in the same boat myself and I am finding that as long as I maintain my post diet weight, then my levels remain in the non diabetic range. I do however spike higher than my wife (I use her for blind testing poor thing!) for the same meal and my GP considers that I'm now just glucose tolerance affected, and not a full blown diabetic. I know in my heart of hearts thought that if I put on weight I'd be back to square one!

Reactions: 4 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As previously said, the balanced plate contains a mix of meat, veg and potatoes, normally they show quarter plate of meat, quarter of potato and half veg. While it is good for pushing the veg it does encourage you to eat a fairly large amount of carbs, and very little fat, it always shows lean meat or fish. The type of veg is rarely mentioned. It encourages you to eat that amount of carbs at every meal, and often to have them as snacks as well, often as fruit. For many of us it would be far too many carbs for us to maintain a healthy BS level.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

As long as you are on metformin, then I'm guessing you'll stay on the rolls as type 2. I've heard of people being taken off the books after a while of normal blood glucose levels controlled without meds.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard of isolated cases where a person has been taken off the register.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't believe, unless it is clinically proven to be erroneous, that a diagnosis would ever be removed from a person's medical record, as that would render it both incomplete and inaccurate. It is possible to be removed from the Practice Diabetic Register, and to be treated as non-diabetic thereafter, as is the case with myself.

Curiously, I had a non-diabetes specific appointment with my GP yesterday, during which I asked how my current situation is recorded in my records, so that I can ensure I can refer and declare it accurately, as and when I need to (for example for travel insurance). My records show a current status of "Diabetes Resolved". There is also, allegedly a status of "Diabetes in Remission". These were discussed fairly recently here:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newcastle-diet-reversal-questions.76598/#post-847324 Post #15 describes the differences.

I have agreed that despite being removed from the Diabetic Register, I will still have annual HbA1c tests, and I have only just been invited for retinal screening, which I will have at the end of the month.