Query BG levels at night

bronte

Hi,

I have kept my BG levels between 6.1( 1 hr after meal and 5.5 (2/3 hrs after today. After my evening meal I went to yoga BG levels 2 hrs after 5.4. I then went for a 5.5 mile bike ride. I have just gone to check my BG before bed and it has risen to 7.0. It has never done this before. Is it becuase I have not eaten enough today or some other reason? I feel hungry now but don't want to eat anything as it will go up even more.
I appreciate people's thoughts thank you

ChocFish

Helen this happens sometimes after exercise, look here at this link, it explains
http://communities.healia.com/?q=questi ... r-exercise

Exercise Strenuously:
The reasons why very strenuous exercise causes an increase rather than a decrease in BG. During strenuous exercise the muscles send a signal for more energy, which the body responds to by releasing more glucose. Without sufficient insulin, very hard exercise and sometimes even novel exercise will cause a rise in BG.
At rest, the body uses about 60% of its energy as fat and 40% as glucose. The harder you work, the less fat is used and the more glucose is used until you reach a state of anaerobic activity (weight lifting, fast sprinting) which uses 100% glucose. It is counterintuitive, but the harder you exercise the more insulin your body needs to deal with the increased amount of glucose being released for energy. Often by exercising at a less strenuous pace, can cause BG to decrease with exercise again.

If you are hungry now, do eat something, have you something really low carb at home? This would not raise your bg or at least not much, if you avoid eating something then you will feel deprived and resentful (been there, done that). Be good to yourself.

Love

Karen x

I will respond to your PM tomorrrow if that is alright, dont think I have forgotten you.

bronte

Thank you what shall I have, a few nuts, a piece of cheese, full fat yoghurt? Thank you so much

ChocFish

All of them if you are ravenous, make sure the yoghurt isnt sugary though. Do you have the Collins Gem Carb Counter booklet?

Enjoy :)

Karen x

bronte

Yes I do have the Collins book. I will try a couple of spoonfulls of the Lidl 10% fat yogurt and half a dozen almonds and cross my fingers.
Thank you again