newly diagnosed, physically ok, sugars ok but mentally not good

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am having real problems to come to terms with pre-diabetes likely to be confirmed Type 2. I had such a hell of a year last year. Mum in later stages of Alzheimer's finally put into a home, Dad had a stroke in the middle of moving house which I had to complete on his behalf in 3 days whilst going back and forth to hospital. Then I was told that my gynaecological problems would require a total abdominal hysterectomy. Out of the blue my brother nearly died from a rare brain abscess. He survived and has made a good recovery. Had my surgery in November and was off work for 13 weeks. It was a massive op with a blood transfusion , was under for 6 hours and had to have a urological procedure too. During my recovery period a routine set of bloods revealed Hba1c level of 56 and subsequent fasting glucose below diabetes threshold but prediabetes. I've had less than sympathetic treatment from my employer during my absence and phased return and now this. I've just had enough!

Had my glucose intolerance test this week and I'm expecting a T2 diagnosis. Coming to terms initially with diet and exercise hasn't been too bad. It was all part of my game plan to work on my fitness and diet once I'd recovered from my hysterectomy. What is worrying me is the longer term effects. I love cooking. I have a nine year old I like to cook with. How will Xmas be? I feel terrible resentment that I can't have what I like. Every time I put food in my mouth I'm tormented by the thoughts of diabetes. I'm already on anti-depressants - prescribed during my family crisis last year. I was supposed to be weening off them but fear that may make me feel worse. I go from being miserable to raging anger and utter despair.

Work are being extremely tricky about anymore time off - I'm terrified to even attend an appointment in work hours and I just can't get them out of hours or in school holidays all the time.

Where do I go from here?

hi Sally
im sorry i didnt see you post until today, you have had a hell of a time hun, you need to speak to your gp to seek the help you need regarding your depression,if you have been and had your results please let me know,
its been 10 weeks since i was diagnosed and the first 8 were hell on earth, hypos hypers, poor vison the lot, but all of a sudden it all came into place , im feeling more my old self,
the food thoughts your having are normal hun even now i think " oh whats this doing to my bg" every mouthful.
i tend to watch my carbs more then sugar this week which seems to be working,
you have come to the right place if you need a chat or advice, theres always someone around hun, dont feel alone in this