This was dead sloppy

TuTusweet

I control my weight and BG by diet. My BG is almost always between 6.5 and 7.7. Occasional readings of 5.6 on waking.
Today I had a CT scan to see why I have rattles and gurgle sounds from one lung.

I was given contrast fluid in the arm. This was midday. Just now at midnight I checked and my BG is at 11.3. Obvious what caused that. I wasn't even asked if I had Diabetes. I have nothing to take like Metformin. Has anyone here been in this position themselves. 11.3 is sky high for me but not high for many people. I am drinking gallons of water to hopefully wash it out of my kidneys. At present I don't have any side effects that I am aware of

Any views please

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A single day of high bloods won't do you any harm. If it's not coming down over the course of this morning, then you could always contact the department that did the test to ask for guidance.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BG at 11.3 is really not anything to worry about, as its shortly temporary for you, per your description of your normal routines and bg levels. You would typically have to get above 14-16 before you would feel sluggish, loss of appetite etc. Even 'normal people' can at times spike above 10 because of meal intake/stressful situations. Long-term complications comes due to bg at a higher level than that, which have prevailed for many months/years.

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suggest that it's more likely to be the stress of the procedure than any BG raising element in the injection itself. Stress does raise BG - and I don't mean the kind of stress of you being frantic with worry, the procedure itself will have stressed the body and it does tend to pump out glucose in order to fuel the fight against some stressor or invader to your body.

And a med like Metformin would have no effect on reducing a temporary blip in BG like that anyway - it's slow acting and works best on more of a long-term use. The best way to get BG down (as long as it's not very high) is a little activity to use it up and drinking plenty.

I really don't think you should concern yourself over it, that in itself is likely to make it worse, just follow your normal successful regime and it will soon sort itself out.