Recent diagnosis of T1 - Hi!

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!
My name is Kathleen. I'm 35 y.o. and I was diagnosed as a T1 diabetic on June 13th when I was taken into A&E with DKA. This was mostly due to me deciding that I wasn't ill and didn't need to go to the doctors for about 3 weeks. I was in hospital for 10 days as they tried to stabilize my BGLs but they never fell below 14.

I'm still trying to get my BGLs under control, and just when it looks like I'm managing it, they go up again!

I'm on the Novomix insulin and take 2 injections a day - 30 units before breakfast and 22 before my evening meal.

I need to lose weight (5'3" and 82kg) but I've never been a person of exercise - hence the weight - so I'm struggling to motivate myself into doing something. I've tried to get my hubby to go for a walk with me but it seems that's too much like hard work for him too!!! I lost 10kg due to the DKA before I went into hospital - who knows if I lost more whilst in there but put 2kg back on since I've started eating again (didn't eat for 2 days before going in and first 3 days in although on various drips).

Anyway - enough from me!
Kathleen

Gazza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The wind
Hi Kathleen. Any bit of exercise will help. You dont have to start jogging up the high street, but just try to be a little more active in your daily routine. They'll probably have to jiggle your insulin regime about a bit until its right for you. Stress and worry, amongst countless other things muck up you BGLs, so dont give up. Good luck!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi kathleen, it's early days yet.
Now Exercise: the easiest and cheapest is to increase your walking
As to BG control there are 2 strategies
1) Use medication
2) Eat fewer carbs
Look throught this forum and you'll find loads of stuff about all of this
good Luck with whatever you chose to do
Hana