Type 1 Hard skin

K

Kat100

Thankfully we have a podiatrist that visits our gp surgery every week for a afternoon session, its a shame that your surgery has made these cutbacks Kat. but the Flexitol is an excellent product, have a look on-line for the cheapest deal as it can be expensive.
Thank you , will do, good to know ....

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had terrible problems with hard skin on my feet before I started on thyroid meds. Now my heels are smooth and no cracks any more. I don't use any oils or moisturisers at all, only soap and warm water.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i pay for a podiatrist to visit me at home every 6 weeks as i suffer badly with hard skin, its the best £26 to pay as she will get rid off it and look for any problems
i could get my gp to refer me, but he said i would only get 2 appointments a year

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i pay for a podiatrist to visit me at home every 6 weeks as i suffer badly with hard skin, its the best £26 to pay as she will get rid off it and look for any problems
i could get my gp to refer me, but he said i would only get 2 appointments a year

I agree, I found it was definitely worth it to go to a podiatrist at a time of my choosing, rather than having to wait for available appointments which are few and far between, though, obviously it's a question of cost. Mine did an expert job of sorting malicious ingrown toe-nails and was very thorough about checking for risks from diabetes, my feet have never felt better!

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would concur that Flexitol is brilliant and available in supermarkets (didn't know we could get it on prescription) - in the past, Body Shop coconut body cream or their hemp cream has served well, too - filing every week with something like a Scholl file with extendable handle is a good idea - personally, for home use, I would steer clear of the grater-type and go for the sandpaper/emery type, because you can get carried away with the grater and cause more pain and bleeding. If cracks are really bad, Body shop sell little socks so you can cream up feet overnight and wear the socks,so the cream can work rather than rub off on the sheets. (Other shops probably sell them too)

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a word of warning re. removing hard skin - on one of Dr Bernstein's webcasts, he said that a lot of diabetic amputations come about because of inexpert attempts at skin removal - so probably best to stick to topical applications than more rigorous methods ;)

Reactions: 2 people