Hypos Sorting Themselves Out?

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
That, my friend, is a liver dump.

One of your liver functions is to store glucose. Why? Well, I'm not sure but some one here will know. When your BG goes low your liver is prompted to release the glucose that it has stored (assuming you weren't quick enough to detect and correct the inevitable hypo) in order to bring you back up. Obviously the message here, as I think you know, is to always carry glucose on you - Dextrose tablets are the most convenient.

Also bare in mind that once your liver has dumped it will want to regain the glucose it has lost and so your next meal might yield unusual results afterward.

Liver dumping is also the suspected cause of 'Dawn Phenomenon' (which has come back Caitycakes :() as you hypo in the night and rather than wake you up, your liver just dumps and you wake up with elevated levels.

Giraffe

A liver dump :lol: :lol:

Makes me think of Mr Hanky from South Park!

But yeah, apparently this is the case. I've had the hypo in the night and waking up feeling ******, headache and candyfloss mouth, and it seems you do go hypo and your body sorts itself out. It's rare, I usually wake up, but sometimes it can happen.

Sometimes I've even been dreaming about eating when this has happened!

caitycakes1

Hi Acron,

sorry to hear your DP has come back but I still think maybe you need to reduce your night-time insulin a bit as I think you are maybe going hypo in the night. The cheese only helps prevent the am liver dump. It won't help if you are going too low because you have to much insulin on board. Try a reduction and still eating the cheese and see how you get on.

Caitycakes x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As long as you yaven't taken too much medication, that effect will work for you. It's one reason, why hypos are so rarely fatal. Howevver, it's worth keeping a pack of glucotabs with you. I have them in handbags, backpack and pockets.
Just a warning though, they don't survive a go in the washer.

lionrampant

I'm late to the party here but I think a good alternative to glucose tabs are glucose gel packs - Lucozade sell a version (but they're damned hard to find). Small plastic packet about the size of a packet of tabs, with what is effectively glucose syrup inside. Suck it out, and within minutes you're on you're way.

Your dentist might not like 'em >_>