White rice

Pozzie

I am new to low carbing and have been trying out various foods a nd testing after to see how much i spike. I always thought that white rice was a no no, but yesterday i had little food choice left in the house as today is shopping day, so i had to eat a M&S ready meal of chilli con carne with white rice. To my great surprise, 2hrs after eating it my BG had only risen 1 point!!
Does this mean my body tolerates it well and i can carry on eating it or did i just get lucky that time? I hope i can eat it as i am struggling sometimes at meal times not knowing what carbs if any to choose. I dont want to be ultra low carb and have tried to keep it to about 100gm a day.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Personally I'd be dubious and do another test, also if the meal contained a lot of fat this slows down the absorption of the starch. Maybe do another test - just eat some rice on its own and test at 1 2 and 3 hours after? Let us know what you find!

Pozzie

You reckon? I hope you are wrong :lol:
OK.. i'll give it another go tonight and see. I shall do a home made curry with rice! That'll be a treat! lol

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You really need to test it with different meals - no-one usually eats rice on its own - except perhaps as rice cakes (if you are one of the probably extremely few who eat a rice cake on its own :? ).

It is true that the amount of fat in a meal will slow the uptake of the carbs and consequent spike, but I would still tend to confine the rice to a small portion because it can still contribute to weight gain, should that be a problem.

That is why making things yourself is helpful because then you know what has gone into the meal and may have more idea on how it affects you.

Personally I prefer brown rice. I love the nutty taste and texture and that doesn't raise the blood sugar nearly as rapidly as the white polished processed stuff that has had all the goodness removed from it! I prefer to give that a wide berth and don't even mention the 'easy-cook' rubbish. On the very rare occasion I have had that it sticks in my throat and gives me raging indigestion so what the heck they do to it I shudder to think! Most packaged foods that come with rice seem to be accompanied by that and it is gross.

I don't buy, or eat, hardly anything that has been commercially manufactured any more and am a lot better for it.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Basmati rice has a different balance of Amylose and amylopectin starches, to most other forms of rice. which lowers its GI. Low GI foods will push your BG up as much as High GI, but take much longer to do so. If you have enough circulating insulin, maybe it can keep up with the rice

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Pozzie,why not buy the same meal again but this time test after 2 and 3 hours to see if your blood sugar levels go up.As others have said maybe the fat content slowed down the glucose absorption.

Pozzie

hanadr said:
Basmati rice has a different balance of Amylose and amylopectin starches, to most other forms of rice. which lowers its GI. Low GI foods will push your BG up as much as High GI, but take much longer to do so. If you have enough circulating insulin, maybe it can keep up with the rice

OK, bit confused now. Understand the GI bit, but the previous poster said it is not as nutritious as basmati. Is that also correct?

I think I will do what you said Sue. I will buy the same meal tomorrow and see what happens