Injection lump

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
During the night I had high blood sugar and for some reason the NovoRapid I injected didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I then noticed that a small hard lump under my stomach where I injected - does this explain why the NovoRapid didn't work? Why did this happen and is there anything I can do?

The lump has now gone. I do try to rotate my injection sites but since I try to "sugar surf" using Libre I do inject fairly often. Since I never really inject more than 3 units at a time I'm surprised this lump formed as I thought they were more associated with larger doses?

Grateful for any advice!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
During the night I had high blood sugar and for some reason the NovoRapid I injected didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I then noticed that a small hard lump under my stomach where I injected - does this explain why the NovoRapid didn't work? Why did this happen and is there anything I can do?

The lump has now gone. I do try to rotate my injection sites but since I try to "sugar surf" using Libre I do inject fairly often. Since I never really inject more than 3 units at a time I'm surprised this lump formed as I thought they were more associated with larger doses?

Grateful for any advice!

Hi Pinewood, Don't really know what the answer is but it's happened to me a couple of times, and also had an instance where it appeared that I had a bleed under the skin. It disappeared within a day though. Maybe when it happens, the needle hasn't quite penetrated the subcutaneous fatty tissue? Will be interested to see other responses.

HaroldC

I had a lump under the skin when I pulled my last cannula out. Insulin seems be have been absorbed there OK, but it's probably the same thing. I'd be interested to know what makes it happen, so I can avoid it happening again.