My 6 year old's been newly diagnosed with type 1...HELP?

D's Mummy

Hi Everyone,
My daughter has just been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in March. I'm finding it all very overwhelming. She's just taking it in her stride, putting her trust in me and just getting on with it.

Occasionally D will 'kick off' so to speak. Not wanting to have diabetes and wondering why she has to be different (not very often though).

Just wondering if anyone out there has got any advice having been in our position. It would be great to hear from you.

D's Mummy :?

yorksherpud

Hi D's Mummy,

Hope all is going well for you. My boy was diagnosed over the Easter hols, so we're probably at the same stage. He's 11 and taking it really well. In fact I am so proud of how he's handled it. I, on the other hand, feel like I need to turn in to Super Mum, and be extra ultra organised and am so frightened of forgetting something, or feeding him the wrong thing, etc etc.

We have had a few problems with school, which you might have read about on another post in this forum, but the support we have had from the diabetes team has been fantastic.

Good luck, and if you need to chat or compare notes you can always send me a pm.

Kind regards

Pud x
(Melanie)

donnamum

My daughter age 9 was diagnosed mid Jan. She has also been incredible. With only the occational outbursh 'I want to be normal'. I have lists and memos everywhere. In the beginning it felt a bit like I have a new born baby again- bags of snacks, strict feed times, waking her during the night to check she was OK. But it quickly gets a little easier.

Hope you find this forumm as much use and suport as I have as there aren't many parent suport groups out there.

hazey276

hello d'smummy, sorry to hear about your little girl. I'm newly diagnosed myself and all i'm trying to say is that the support on this forum is second to none. If anyone can help in here they will

good luck and best wishes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi D's Mummy

I have 2 daughters who are Type 1, a 13yr old who was diagnosed aged 8 and a 6 year old diagnosed age 2. Five and four years on respectively, I still get the 'I just want to be normal' stuff every now and then from both of them. It's tough - sometimes I remind them of the other kids out there with much worse health problems, but mostly I acknowledge their loss and sympathise with their feelings of anger and grief. Some people say it must be better for them, each having a sister who is like them, and in some ways perhaps it is, but each child still has to deal with her own situation and feelings. And as parents we have to deal with ours, but we try to do that out of their hearing!
Sue

sugar2

Well, I am diabetic myself...so can't really help with the parenting things, but I just wanted to say that when I was a child, I thought my Mum was a complete hero for looking after me the way she did...and also, that of course, at some time, things do het forgotten. This is life! The good news is that, despite many forgetful episodes, we are all still here. Forgetting an injection, or havingthe wrong food once in a while is not good...but it really isn't the end of the world. Forgetting insulin, or having too much to eat...well, your child will not feel great, and things can be quickly sorted out. Having too much insulin, and having hypos, is also not great...but again, as long as people know that they are diabetic, or they have some kind of medic alert, they will be OK. I have been diabetic over 30 years, and I am still here to tell the tale, becasue onteh 3 occasions that I have passed out because of a hypo...a member of the public has called an ambulance. It is not nice, and really is best avoided, but it happens. They sorted me out in no time...and I went home very embarrased, but no harm was done.
Please don't worry about not being perfect....you are here, taking an active interest in your childs health, and for that I think you all deserve medals :D

aussieonline

Hi,

I am a mother of four girls, my 9 year old daughter was diagnosed type 1 diabetic 2 years ago now, and i would do anything as a mother to take this away from her if it was possible but unfortunately i can't! As a mother of a Diabetic child it is so hard and you watch your child growing up as you try to keep them as NORMAL as possible but do you know what, you just can't... they are different and very special little fighters. I still have nights where i sit with tears coming down my cheeks as i look at photo's of her before it all happened, you can't control the tears they just come from so deep inside. But the next day you just get up and get on with life. People say to me, at least shes not dying of cancer. which yes that is very true but there life is on the line daily. we have had a few scares one very lately when she had a seizure (origin, unknown!!) over night and was left unable to talk and very confused... but again she pulled through like a trooper. what i suppose i am trying to say to all you newly diagnosed mums is, it is a roller coaster ride of highs and lows sugar and emotional ways too but you know the main thing is to love and be there for each other because he o she will rely on you so deeply that is all they want.
it is something that lives with you all as a famimly daily in everything you do, but it can't rule or change your lives.

i wish you all the best. my thoughts are with you all.

Innocent

Dislikes
Moaning. Its a pointless excercise if you dont like something find a proactive way to make it better, moaning gets ya nowhere but down.
Aww ozzieonline
Reading your post has made me :cry:
As a Diabetic Mum I was reading it from the how I would feel if my daughter was diagnosed and also from the perspective of being the child that was diagnosed and how my mum coped.

As a Mum, even though I fully understand all about being a diabetic, I would be frantic if either of my girls was diagnosed simply because Diabetes is such an internal problem with internal consequenses if not treated properly. What I mean to say is, if they has something like Eczema at least its on the outside, and you can see externally if treatment is effective, and treat accordingly if not. With Diabetes the early external signs need to be learned as a parent. For a non diabetic parent that can be distressing and confusing at times.

Any parents on the forum with a Diabetic child, are doing the best they can to understand and learn simply by being here, which is to be commended. :D
Sadly my Mum even after all these years has never really got to grips with Hyper's, Hypo's, Food (what I can or cannot eat), Lifstyle or Complications. Its been twenty years for me this Nov!
I was diagnosed at 15 years old and the only person in the family to have Diabetes of any sort. :roll:

Tips for all parents with Diabetic Kids:
From the childs pespective please dont forget they are still the same person as they were previously and need to be treated the same, not as the odd one out or the different one. I think I would find this difficult as the love we have for our kids can make us worry and become controlling without even realising it .

My Mum is forever saying "Oh sorry, you cant have that can you!?!" rather than ask if I would like to try something. So I can have no opportunity to decline if too sweet.
Even children need to be given choices, so they can learn for themselves what is good for their body or not, and keep their independance as they grow. This will help them not to rebel when old enough, and get out of control with their food choices as soon as they have the opportunity away from us parents. They will make mistakes but they will learn from them too. No body like to feel ill so it wont be long before they learn what works and what doesnt.

Try and include the whole family in food changes rather than prepare separate meals. Diabetics can eat most everything in moderation if the whole family follows a low Gi diet, which is far more healthy for us all anyway.

Marketed Diabetic Foods, Artificial Sweetners and Diabetic Sweets, IMHO they are a waste of money and aimed at newbie diabetics before they get the hang of it all and realise they are unnecessary. :evil: .

Normal fruit, veg, and meat, with No added sugar drinks, and no or minimal refined foods, are fine along with regular blood tests at first. Till help parents to get to grips with what foods affect sugar levels, and insulin can be adjusted accordingly when necessary.
Better to have a smaller portion, than have to eat differently to the rest of the family. IMHO

Instead of using Diabetic sweets, keep normal sweets in to top up sugars if a hypo is imminent.

70% Dark choc contains very little sugar, I prefer a few squares of this for a treat, rather than normal chocolate, unless Im going low.

Remember that a Diabetic is just someone who has to put into their bodies what everybody else's does naturally, they are not on some drug that alters their brain function, just their sugar levels.

Kids are incredibly resillient, and responsible, when allowed to be. Understanding, support and comfort in times of need, will help kids to grow the confidence to feel normal even though they know their world has changed forever. Its takes time for it all to become second nature, in that time their will be outbursts and sadness but they will come to terms with it. I rememeber it was a novelty being Diabetic for the first year and was coping fine, until a year was up and I wanted it all to stop so I could be 'normal' again. Cuddles helped and realising that normal comes in all shapes and sizes did too. Afterall I didnt look any different on the outside like I thought I did at first.

A chat with the school may help new diabetic children not have to face a million questions from other kids. My school did an assembly about Diabetes while I was in Hospital, so when I returned many of my peers had a basic understanding of what had happened to me, what Diabetes is, and what to do if I went hypo in class.

Try not to listen to the horror stories so many people have, of half truths about relatives with diabtes and what they went through.
Many of the stories people tell me when they first find out Im Diabetic are usually about people with type 2 diabetes who hadnt had treatment in the early stages. Or type 1 and havent had good control for many years, or were diagnosed long ago before the excellent medical treatment we have now existed.
Children and Adults these days are kept under careful dedicated review by Hospitals from the start, and with good control from the beginning are likely not to suffer the complications many of the older generation are facing now.

Free Prescriptions applies to all medicines whether insulin or cough syrup from diagnosis with Type 1 Diabetes, so that is definately a positive if nothing else.
Mum has athsma, and has had to pay for inhalers since the 70's as have many others with life affecting illnesses that require medication, and without would be life threatening. Cant figure that one out, but its good for us Diabetics I know. :wink:

I hope that hasnt offended or confused any parents, apologies if I have in anyway. This is all just from my personal experiences of course, which may differ from others, of course.

I could go on but have rambled enough :oops: Soz

aussieonline

Thankyou so much for your reply. It is fantastic to read the point of view from an adult who can help us as parents understand what our children are feeling. It means alot to me. I try to understand the best i possible can, but as they say, you can only truely understand something if you have walked in those shoes! I am lucky to have a nurse/midwife background so medically the treatment side of things diet/exercise etc doesn't really faze me, its the emotional impact that i think many people under estimate to such a large degree.

Thank you again

mumofplenty

Hi there, my daughter who is ten now was dx when she was five, nine weeks after her baby brother was born and three weeks after she started school. I only joined this forum a few weeks ago and have found lots of new ideas and cried a lot reading through some of the stories people have wrote about. my Daughter was first child in our family, but her grandparents are type two, so I knew a bit about diabetes but nothing about insulin and injections. we felt as if we were on overdrive with all the info bieng thrown at us. the first meal after we were allowed home was a nightmaire. i gave my daughter her insulin and then made her tea, she refused to eat it. I made another meal and she refused that as well. while I was trying not to let her see I was ready to explode inside. in the end she had a sandwich and a yogurt and apple, i think I will always remember that night. I cry myself to sleep. from then on we have had up hill and downhills, we remember the ups more than the downs. or daughter goes to gymnastics once a week, goes swimming, bike riding and loves nothing better than being free to run around at any chance she gets. at first she was on 2 injects 1 morning and 1 night. since jan this year she has 3 injects 1 morning, 1 to cover teatime and 1 on a night( slow acting). she will do all her bg tests but finds putting her insulin in hard, she can only just reach the end of the pen, so when sh presses it the pen pushes into her skin more. so I do her injects. as well as some bg tests at night, which is when she seems to have more hypos. she does not see herself as any different to her four siblings but does have the odd outbursts ( we blame them on her hormones at the minuite). it was great to read inoccents story, ( made me :cry: ) realise how my daughter must feel. well must let someone else have a go. welcome to you all.
Sue.