Moving Abroad

bettysboo

I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic in August 2012 and I am currently on Metformin twice a day and Gliclizide twice a day. I currently hold a Medical Exemption card valid until 2018 to obtain my medications free however I am due to move to the Netherlands to live so this card will no longer be valid. I am worried I will not have enough money to pay for the medications as I have not yet secured a job but I will be staying with friends until I do.

Can anyone tell me what I can do abroad to get these medicines cheaper. Any advise is welcome and thank you in advance for all your help in this matter.

C

catherinecherub

The Dutch healthcare system
Anyone who resides or works in the Netherlands is required, under the Health Insurance Act (Zorgverzekeringswet), to enroll with a health insurer to cover medical expenses within four months of arrival. The Dutch healthcare system is based on the principle of social solidarity. This means that healthy people contribute to the medical expenses of those who are ill. If you have an income or receive a social security benefit, you are also due to pay an income related premium. Depending on your situation, the percentage varies.

http://www.zorgverzekeringslijn.nl/coming-from-abroad/

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to jump onto bettysboo's trail, butI was wondering similarly about France - thinking seriously about a permanent move there, but unsure about how to go about the meds situation.