Wanted - you - if you want a new pump and cant get funding!

albannach2

Hi, I am about to start a sponsored swim on 1st September, finishing on 31st December 2009 to swim 32 miles in my local pool. This equates to 3,680 lengths, at least 2 miles a week, every week. My reason for this doing this is to raise enough money to purchase a pump for someone really wanting one plus ideally one year's worth of supplies.

My only criteria are the following:

1) that you want to have a pump to improve your way of living
2) your health authority doesnt have the money to provide you with one
3) you cannot afford to buy one yourself (its a lot of money)!
4) ideally that you live in West Sussex or Surrey

I got my pump last year and it made such a difference to my life, I had no idea it would have that effect. I really wan to give something back to someone else who would benefit. If you are that person, pls let me know asap, as the 1st September when I start is only 2 weeks away!!

Kind regards

Sally (otherwise know as albannach2)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not in need, but I want to express my admiration and wish the project success

albannach2

Hi, thanks for your reponse. To be honest Im sure sure how the funding really works across the NHS as a whole for pumps, I was lucky but know that others are not so, so fingers crossed. Hey, cant wait to start actually - I always like to give something back to the community if I can. Fingers crossed I find someone!

halfgospel

Hello Sally,

I am new to this forum and although I have been diabetic for nearly 20 years I have recently been told that I will be going onto insulin within the next week. The very thought of nearly 30 injections a week scares me...I am currently on byetta along with lots of tablets eg metformin and sitagliptin but my BG's are still to high, looks like the pancreas has finally stopped producing insulin?

Anyway, as I said, I have to visit the Diabetic team on thursday when we shall be discussing insulin etc etc...I have applied today for a bank loan to buy a pump, just incase the NHS won't deliver. Your offer of a pump would be lovely, if it is still available, as i believe i would be able to manage my disease easier with a pump. I work shifts, dont eat regularly and have no regular sleeping pattern and MDI's would be a nightmare to control.

Just one thing...I live in Rochester, Kent.

Regards,
Halfgospel

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
I'm shocked at the measures you guys are having to employ to obtain appropriate treatment. I'm hoping you have accidentally overlooked the usual channels, and not ignored them? DUK, Input etc, and it does no harm whatsoever to bash your PCT over the head with the NICE guidance on pump therapy, which is more difficult (for a PCT) to manipulate than the usual set.

jopar

Well done sally..

Have you worked out with yoru friend and there diabetic team the knitty gritty side of things... As you can't just phone up and buy a pump, it has to be done with a prescription from an authorised consultant/gp...

Gospel, I assuming that you are T2 by what you say, you may experience similar problems getting your diabetic team to give the necessay precription to obtain an insulin pump...

There is only a couple T2 in the country who use insulin pumps, As far as I can make out these all under one consultant at one clinic...

The problem is that the NICE guidelines for insulin pump thearpy are based around T1 diabetes so becomes invalid for the T2, and believe me when I've heard some of the battles T1's have had to get insulin pump funding, I myself took 2 1/2 years to get my pump... It will be extremly difficult....

Don't be put off from asking, because if you go onto basal/bolus method then apart from a label to type of diabetic everything else is the same... And there isn't any real reason that MDI can't be replaced with a insulin pump, after all countries with private health care such as America this is an option for all insulin users and not just restricted by type as it seems to be here..

I would suggest that you contact INPUT as they will be able to tell you a lot information about T2 and insulin pumps than I can and what consultants/clinics either near you or futher a field that will be more sympathic to you and your wishes..