Pump Replacement - at Warranty?

Steveee

Hi,

I am working with my local Primary and Secondary care teams on developing the insulin pump service in our local area.

Insulin pumps are already provided on an "as needs" basis. The question that has come up is whether we should replace pumps automatically when they reach the end of their warranty period. This is typically 4 years.

Do any of the members have experience of this from their own areas?

P.S. I am a pump user.

MarkP

I received a replacement pump this month. I got my first pump about 8 years ago. It did have a problem about 4 years ago and MiniMed sent me a replacement, but no extended warranty.
My pump started showing signs of problems again so I spoke to hospital team about a replacement. They lent me a new MiniMed Paradigm 509. When I took it back they told me if I wanted it to keep it, and they will apply for the funding. I received a letter from the PCT last week approving the funding (I am not sure what would have happened if the funding had been refused).

I was told by my care team that there should be no problem obtaining a new pump once the existing pump is out of warranty. I bought my first pump myself, which was therefore mine. However I am told that this pump belongs to the PCT (though they are not sure on the insurance issue, and whether they should insure or me).

Hope this helps.

Mark

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Mark, it's my understanding that pump insurance is your responsibility, not the PCT's. I have just reviewed my contents insurance and always mention the pump specifically, they threw cover in for nothing. But I know some do get charged a bit although it's not very much, maybe £10-20 a year extra? Depends on your insurer I think.

Steveee

Like kegstore found, my local PCT insists that I insure my pump as I am responsible for it. I haev not issue with this. It costs £20 extra per year.

I did have a problem recently when trying to change my insurance - the new company insisted on seeing the original purchase receipt! Ended up getting a letter from the PCT.