Anonymous Question Does hitting control hypos?

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
No, no and no! Where did this idea come from? Educate your partner so that he/she knows to make sure you eat some fast acting carbs or glucose tablets. Please, please put an end to the hitting.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I'm worried about you now. Are you in an abusive relationship or is this the only time your partner hits you? Not that it makes it ok. Maybe you both need to speak to your GP? Please do get some help. Will you post again and let us know what is happening?

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A violent person will use any excuse to get their jollies. How does hitting someone raise their blood sugar levels?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It sounds very much as though your partner is taking advantage of the situation to commit domestic violence. I really think you need to get some external help with this.

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps you should explain that the best way to bring you out of a hypo would be 100ml of lucozade and a couple of biscuits. Had my wife hit me every time I had a hypo, I would have been beaten to death years ago. Seriously I think you need to explain that there are times when your bloods are very low that your behaviour may be irrational, and you cannot help this. Hitting you, depending on your mood or type of hypo could light a touchpaper. Thankfully my wife remains calm , sits me down and, at times has literally force fed me, without exaggeration I would say my wife has saved my life, she's diamond.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Oh my God!!!
How can hitting you help you to recover from a hypo ??

Your partner is either a sadist or an idiot.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I agree with all the replies above. This does not sound like a healthy relationship.
No amount of (call it what it is.) violence can cure a hypo. you just need sugar..
Are you actually testing low when your partner administers this "treatment" or can your partner just "conveniently spot the signs"?

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I was wondering if the poster is newly diagnosed. If he/she and the partner are new to all this, the partner may not understand what a hypo is. The partner may have seen someone in some sort of stupor being brought out of it by a light slap on the face. I would really like to know more about the situation.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was wondering if the poster is newly diagnosed. If he/she and the partner are new to all this, the partner may not understand what a hypo is. The partner may have seen someone in some sort of stupor being brought out of it by a light slap on the face. I would really like to know more about the situation.

Some more info would be helpful..?
Currently it reads like some 1940's "control yourself woman." answer to it all movie scene.

Not cool....

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if the partner "hits" the OP, thinking that they just need to "snap out of it", as with someone who is anxious or drunk. Still...it is the wrong approach entirely. On all accounts.

So, if your question is exactly as it reads, the answer is NO.

dellbhoy20

Anonymous question submitted:

I am type 1 diabetic. Is it normal that when I am having a hypo, my partner hits me to try and control my hypo?

To submit a question, please go to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

I suppose I am on the other side...!! My type 1 wife has started to become very belligerent and aggressive when having a hypo and has now hit me on a number of occasions. We have been together 7 years and she has been diabetic for over 20 but this is a new and a little disturbibng development. Suppose I am just looking for reassurance that this is normal? After so long when it never happened it's just worrying me a bit.......

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I suppose I am on the other side...!! My type 1 wife has started to become very belligerent and aggressive when having a hypo and has now hit me on a number of occasions. We have been together 7 years and she has been diabetic for over 20 but this is a new and a little disturbibng development. Suppose I am just looking for reassurance that this is normal? After so long when it never happened it's just worrying me a bit.......
At what level of hypo is she doing this? Many T1s become more aggressive and short tempered when hypo and this could translate into what you are finding. There was a recent topic regarding a female member who was doing just as you have described. Does she have many hypos?

You should talk to her about your concerns when she isn't hypo. This should give you a much better indication of whether there is more at issue than her having hypos and hitting you. Hypo reactions can suddenly change, but this sounds as though there may also be something else affecting the behaviour?

dellbhoy20

At what level of hypo is she doing this? Many T1s become more aggressive and short tempered when hypo and this could translate into what you are finding. There was a recent topic regarding a female member who was doing just as you have described. Does she have many hypos?

You should talk to her about your concerns when she isn't hypo. This should give you a much better indication of whether there is more at issue than her having hypos and hitting you. Hypo reactions can suddenly change, but this sounds as though there may also be something else affecting the behaviour?

Crikey - NOT what I wanted to hear. She has hypos fairly infrequently although we have had paramedics called out on a few occasions. Sometimes her belligerence is such that it is the only option that I feel comfortable with. As Is ay she has been diabetic for a long time and generally extremely well controolled - the "violence ( too strong a word but you know what I mean) is a very recent thing but has now happened twice and has distreesed me . The last was at 0200 this morning - she was low with BG at just 2.0. A few mini Mars and I got her round - oddly she then started to apologise and was still doing so profusely at 0700 as we left for work. The whole thing is putting me into quite a state............

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Crikey - NOT what I wanted to hear. She has hypos fairly infrequently although we have had paramedics called out on a few occasions. Sometimes her belligerence is such that it is the only option that I feel comfortable with. As Is ay she has been diabetic for a long time and generally extremely well controolled - the "violence ( too strong a word but you know what I mean) is a very recent thing but has now happened twice and has distreesed me . The last was at 0200 this morning - she was low with BG at just 2.0. A few mini Mars and I got her round - oddly she then started to apologise and was still doing so profusely at 0700 as we left for work. The whole thing is putting me into quite a state............
You need to talk to her about when she is getting lows and look for a pattern. Encourage her to engage with her diabetes care team. Your Hypo anxiety is a good reason for her to get on a pump and there is a lot of evidence that hypos are noticeably reduced with pump therapy.

The most important thing is to talk to her and work with her to help her avoid the hypos.