Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Believe me if you are you will know! Sorry but you don't really want that! Thank god I've past that stage but went through it all again but 100 times worse when I went on meds! Side effect, Felt like I was sitting in sauna 24/7! Good luck
OMG - YES!! I had that! *light bulb moment* I thought I was just unlucky with it all starting up again. Until I read your post it never occurred to me that it might be meds side effect.

Reactions: 2 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctors said it's not the meds but it was, heard others say had same problem, had a fan but went and bought 2 big stand fans, it was awful for weeks, & I was scratching like mad,itching all over, I was like a beet root, drove me mad but it did calm down when got used to meds, have the odd flare up but thank god so much better, and headaches, keep fingers crossed don't want that again, good luck

Reactions: 4 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had lost a lot of weight and also had terrible thirst and was peeing for England. I suspected this may be diabetes so made an appointment at GP's one Friday. Sure enough the HbA1c came back as 123 (13.4%). Was telephoned on the Saturday early evening and told I needed to go to see an emergency GP at an out of hours clinic. Did as I was told and was just sent away again having been told that it would sort itself out with diet and exercise (this after waiting 2 hours to be seen grrrr!). Come Mon morning I got a phone call from my own GP asking me to come straight in. This I did and was immediately started on Metformin and statins and given a meter and strips.
The biggest grievance I have regarding my diagnosis, is that approx 1 year ago I was suffering from a stress related illness. A battery of tests were run, including a HbA1c test that came back at 50 (6.7%). I only know about this result because the GP I saw at diagnosis showed me this chart on his computer showing the rise in my results. At no point did anyone ever discuss this result with me, mention pre diabetes, suggest I changed my eating habits or plan another blood test.
It does leave me wondering whether this could have been nipped in the bud back then with a little advise. If only I had found this forum back then! I certainly think it shows how things can 'slip through the net'. I so wish I'd followed up on those blood tests myself.

Reactions: 6 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T
I had lost a lot of weight and also had terrible thirst and was peeing for England. I suspected this may be diabetes so made an appointment at GP's one Friday. Sure enough the HbA1c came back as 123 (13.4%). Was telephoned on the Saturday early evening and told I needed to go to see an emergency GP at an out of hours clinic. Did as I was told and was just sent away again having been told that it would sort itself out with diet and exercise (this after waiting 2 hours to be seen grrrr!). Come Mon morning I got a phone call from my own GP asking me to come straight in. This I did and was immediately started on Metformin and statins and given a meter and strips.
The biggest grievance I have regarding my diagnosis, is that approx 1 year ago I was suffering from a stress related illness. A battery of tests were run, including a HbA1c test that came back at 50 (6.7%). I only know about this result because the GP I saw at diagnosis showed me this chart on his computer showing the rise in my results. At no point did anyone ever discuss this result with me, mention pre diabetes, suggest I changed my eating habits or plan another blood test.
It does leave me wondering whether this could have been nipped in the bud back then with a little advise. If only I had found this forum back then! I certainly think it shows how things can 'slip through the net'. I so wish I'd followed up on those blood tests myself.
I had all symptoms of diabetes, thrush, living on the loo, thirst all time, ect ect. Stupid me never thought It could be diabetes. But it was when I was losing hair it was diagnosed by chance, told to becareful of my diet! later I had thrush for months, I was ill abroad, in airport, on the plane, when I came back had blood test Bgs were 24.3. Which is 13.2 I'm told, I was given a machine and meds! Why wasn't my sugars checked before, now I have nerve damage ect I'm told, Still just got to get on with it and do best we can, I've learnt so much from this forum, Thanks to everyone

Reactions: 8 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Forgot to say march 28th I was 71kilos and I lost 8 kilos in 6weeks! I'm now 58 kilos and have stayed that weight, I didn't realise my sugars were high and that was why I was losing weight just thought it was healthy eating.

Reactions: 6 people

ukbusybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I developed gum disease and my dentist said it was a common development among people with diabetes or heart disease. Diabetes rang a few alarm bells (i used to feel so tired at work but it was more of a drowsy tired rather than sleepy tired and felt generally awful) so I took myself off to the doctors to ask for a test. A fasting BG test at the hospital followed and it was confirmed I did have diabetes. I was only just over the threshold (at the time the threshold was 7.0 and mine came out at 7.2 I think) but still felt awful so I do wonder how some people with really high readings must have felt!

Reactions: 9 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hm, a lot of people found out as they were losing weight, and with me it was completely the opposite! I went to see my GP to ask for counselling or other help with my weight, as I could not stop eating (carby food) and was literally bursting out of my (already stretchy) clothes. Bloods were taken, and a few days later my GP went "Has anybody ever told you that you have diabetes? Well, you do now. I'm not giving you any medication, it will be fine - just lose weight". Grrr! Talk about a circular argument!

Well, I spent a couple of months alternating between anger and shock, then a locum GP referred me to a dietician and a diabetes course, I came back to this forum, read a few good books, and managed to reverse the trend with both my BG and weight.

Reactions: 3 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
I Had no idea.

Did not have any of the classic symproms so many report.

I went to my GP because I was losing the feeling in my hands and feet, like I had been out in the cold too long.

At first, I assume it was an age thing, but when I mentioned it to colleague he reacted much more strongly than I expected and told me to "get that seen to".

When I described this my GP he asked if felt like I was wearing gloves and socks all the time, and when I said it did he explained this ws peripheral neuropathy, and most likely a consequence of diabetes.

When the fasting test came back at 107 he explained that he was a bit concerned it might be late onset type 1, but we'd try Metformin first.

When I told my wife, she presented me with a meter and directed me to this forum, where I have spent a lot of time since, as she had been researching it since I told her the Doc suspected it.

15 months or so later of LCHF I have things reasonably under control and and am starting to feel improvements to my hands and feet, but I wish I had know sooner what the symptoms of Neuropathy are.

Reactions: 4 people

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
I was told at a company medica in 2014l that I had high levels of sugar in my water, went to see GP July 2015 who confirmed Type 2.Currently on Metformin, but changed diet and added more excercise, and have lost 8kg.Next blood test next week.

Reactions: 2 people