15 hour fast?!?!?!

~shell~

I've recently been to see a gastroenterologist for some abdomen pains and the Consultant I seen has recommended me for some tests to see if its more of a 'diabetes side effect' rather than probable IBS. The only problem is this test needs me to fast for 12 hours and then throughout the 3 hour test I am only able to drink a sugary solution. Anyone had a similar test done and how do I cope with 15 hours of no food and only water and a sugary solution. :?
They know I am diabetic and so surely wouldnt put me through this test unless it was necessary, would they?

Thanks,
Shell
x

Fallenstar

Hey Shell
I have had to fast on a few occasions for surgery for that length of time and believe me you will be fine, you are running on Adrenalin so this takes care of any hunger pangs.
What I did insulin wise was, I would take my reduced evening dose of Basal the night before addmitance ,just to make sure I did not drop low in the night and have to treat a Hypo.
I would then halve my morning dose of Basal if I was not going on sliding scale. This always saw me OK. If I was going on Sliding scale then I would not inject at all on the morning of admittance ,and let them do it all..Phew :lol:
What have they thought you should do with your insulin? What have you thought you should do?

Hope it all goes OK.

~shell~

Thanks for the quick reply Fallenstar!

I'm on a sliding scale. I should be fine with the food as I can go that long without eating on a weekend, its probably the sugary solution I'm expected to drink along with the idea of balancing my insulin to cover no carbs rhat is worrying me the most.
Havnt had the chance to speak to 'the professionals' yet.
Thanks for the tip about reducing my Basal, I hadnt thought about night time hypos!

Thanks,
Shell
x

Fallenstar

No probs Shell!

Ahhhh, sliding scale...I love it...some Anithiatists are better at it than others, but it's always good to be devoid of the old Diabetic responsibility at a stressful time :lol:
You will be fine Hun, don't give it a second thought ,you will be in safe hands.
Hope you get to the bottom of your tummy trouble, good luck :)

AMBrennan

Do you normally eat during the night? If not, then you are fasting for 12ish hours already, with no ill effects.
Drinking sugar drinks (orange juice, Lucozade although I personally prefer "pure" Glucose+C mixed with water) is standard advice if we were unable to keep solid food down.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shell,

On a sliding scale you'll be fine, last time I was on one my bg was between 4.5-4.8 and I congratulated the ward sister for her efforts, as AM says you probably fast for 10-12 hours most nights so another 3 hours shouldn't be a problem.

Last time I fasted for a lipid test (13 hours in total) I stopped off on the way home and had a full english breakfast(large) :twisted: