16 8 diet

cloluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,
I want to loose weight and stay healthy. Just had my bloods back which are all good baring 1 but says expected. Hba1c tad hi 8 but I know why after a barevement, But I'm 15st 5lb and just want to stop eating at night so I'm starting my fast from 6pm till 10am ISH. Finding it ok. Is it harmful for us or beneficial. TYIA.

Reactions: jpscloud

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have done 16/8 for years LCHF for years not even hungry after 16 Hr fast.

• Agree
Reactions: jpscloud

eventhorizon

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the time, 6 days a week, I'm on 6 / 18 combined with lower carb - 80 to 100 grams/day. Basically I don't eat breakfast. I find it great for weight control and increased insulin sensitivity. I rarely feel hungry during fasting periods and can exercise very happily on an empty stomach which was my biggest surprise.

• Agree
Reactions: MrsA2 and jpscloud

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
16/8 (or any other combination) is best when done with following low carb, as it's low carb that helps satisfy then get rid of carb cravings
And it's very effective.
Lots of support on here

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off with 16/8 and found it perfectly do-able with keto. As I continued, I stretched out the time more and more because I wasn't getting hungry until lunchtime, late afternoon, or just before my evening meal. Luckily I have never eaten just because it was a mealtime and have always waited until I felt hungry, but whereas calorie control resulted in almost continuous hunger, keto/low carb does not. So yes - perfectly possible, and for some of us, really easy. Well worth a try.

• Agree

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @cloluk, welcome! 16/8 is a great way to start improving insulin resistance and losing weight - after a while it feels natural and you can help the process by changing early breakfast for another activity - I do wordle and other puzzles while I drink water and have a coffee, then get started on the day.

Even when I let my healthier way of eating slip, the 16/8 is still natural, so still doing me some good.

• Agree
Reactions: Pura Vida and MrsA2

_Steve_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbs >:[
I've found it beneficial, or even life changing. My first ever HBA1c back in April was 95 / 10.8% when I was diagnosed and was given a choice of either starting metformin that day or trying to exercise and diet control and coming back in 3 months for another blood test. Since that time I've gone from an est. average of 14.7 to now, the last 70 days (on my Libre2 sensor) is 98% in range and daily average is now around ~6.

One of the main things I've done is skip breakfast and have dinner earlier, essentially a ~16hr fast, eat low-ish carb and do more exercise. I found an exercise bike suited me best, and more walking. I had another HBA1c after 5-6 weeks (because I needed it lower than 85 for the NHS T2 remission program) and it came back at 59 / 7.5%. I've lost a lot of weight, I'm in a calorie deficit mainly because I now make a point of doing daily exercise, steps + an hour a day cycling.

I have another blood test booked in July and a follow up with the diabetic nurse after the full 3 months, where I expect it to be even lower still.

Short story, there are lots of benefits from fasting and low carb, it was difficult to begin with but after a while you don't even notice it and it becomes the new normal. If you haven't already, I found getting the free trial of the Libre2 CGM was invaluable for finding out what spikes my levels.

Just make sure to drink plenty and hydrate and if you have any concerns make sure to see your nurse/GP for advice and good luck : )

• Agree

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
I want to loose weight and stay healthy. Just had my bloods back which are all good baring 1 but says expected. Hba1c tad hi 8 but I know why after a barevement, But I'm 15st 5lb and just want to stop eating at night so I'm starting my fast from 6pm till 10am ISH. Finding it ok. Is it harmful for us or beneficial. TYIA.
I also tried fasting from a certain time and it helped me feel more alert. But it's important to find a balance and consider your body's individual needs. That is, you need to listen to yourself. try it and good luck!

Reactions: jpscloud and MrsA2